i goofed and used wrong rotation pattern. now what

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went by my (poor) memory and used the RWD/4WD pattern on a FWD car. this is confusing because I have both types of vehicles. why are the patterns different in the first place?

rotate.jpg

Isn't it the same thing just rotated 180°. Drive wheels kept same side and non drive wheels to opposite side.
I think your fine

Last edited:
the driven wheels are rotated to the same side of the vehicle in order to allow them to relax before switching sides.

I don't think it matters, especially if you do the same thing every time. As long as each tire gets to experience being in every position.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
the driven wheels are rotated to the same side of the vehicle in order to allow them to relax before switching sides.

OK, so what happens when they are not "relaxed" enough before changing sides?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i went by my (poor) memory and used the RWD/4WD pattern on a FWD car. this is confusing because I have both types of vehicles. why are the patterns different in the first place?

rotate.jpg

It doesn't matter which way you cross the tires, cross front to rear or rear to front, as long as you keep doing the same crossing all the times each tire will be on all 4 corners after 4 rotations.

OK, i think i got it. The drive wheels suffer the worst irregular wear. if they were switched both side-to-side and front-to-rear at the same time, that would be a double maladjustment requiring a new "break in" phase with worse handling. The recommendation is to let them adjust to the front-to-rear difference first, before fitting them with the side-to-side difference.

But, if that's the case why this X-pattern?

rotation_xpattern.jpg

Forget about it and get on with your life. You'll find as many opinions as people with opinions. Remember, you can't do those cross-overs if you have directional tyres.

OK, i think i got it. The drive wheels suffer the worst irregular wear. if they were switched both side-to-side and front-to-rear at the same time, that would be a double maladjustment requiring a new "break in" phase with worse handling. The recommendation is to let them adjust to the front-to-rear difference first, before fitting them with the side-to-side difference.

But, if that's the case why this X-pattern?

rotation_xpattern.jpg

I use the X-pattern on our Ford Econoline vans, which, because of their front swing axle-based suspension design, cause severe cupping when not rotated. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, it's extremely unlikely you've damaged anything (with modern radials).

I 'jack the back' and switch 'em.
Then I jack the side and switch 'em.

With sis' Jeep (full size matching spare) I did the above then swapped the spare with the LR tire because they were adjacent.

"Even Steven" tire wear for me. Kira

smile.gif
Don't feel badly about having rotated your tires in the wrong rotation pattern. Feel good about having done the rotation in the first place!

wink.gif
I say, "good job!" Get it correct the next time or, do them correctly now...if you have the time!

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
THEE most important thing about tire rotation is the front to rear part. Any crossing is a minor thing.

So don't worry about it.

good to hear from the pro, thanks.
a follow up question for you. when i was much younger, the car manuals said not to switch radials from side to side, and do front to rear only, just like directional tires. now, it's OK to do it. what changed?

On RWD its important to cross the fronts when they go to the back or you will wear off what's left of the cupped rubber in short order. I haven't owned a FWD in so long I don't remember how they wear.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
THEE most important thing about tire rotation is the front to rear part. Any crossing is a minor thing.

So don't worry about it.

good to hear from the pro, thanks.
a follow up question for you. when i was much younger, the car manuals said not to switch radials from side to side, and do front to rear only, just like directional tires. now, it's OK to do it. what changed?

Years ago during the infantcy of radial tires(1970), and probably into the early 80's, keeping radial tires rotating in the same forward direction was important.

Today, it isn't a factor unless the tires are a directional tread pattern and therefore need to remain moving in tha same direction for optimal performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back