What, No Traction Control ??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an '03 Nissan Altima SE V6 and I looked in the Owners Manual and found that
Traction Control was an option. I live in the mountains and we get snow. Does anyone else
have the same situation? I thought Traction Control was pretty much standard.

In '03 it could still be optional, as could ABS. It wasn't till a few years ago when government mandated stability control came about that both were required as part of those systems

You bought a twelve year old car and you're complaining that it lacks traction control?
Traction control (or driving defeat for experienced snow drivers) is only required on cars of fairly recent vintage.
Don't worry.
It's useless.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
I just bought an '03 Nissan Altima SE V6 and I looked in the Owners Manual and found that
Traction Control was an option. I live in the mountains and we get snow. Does anyone else
have the same situation? I thought Traction Control was pretty much standard.

I totally agree!
stuff like this totally grinds my gears!
mad.gif

My 88 325is doesn't even have airbags?!?! what were those stupid Germans thinking??!?

Originally Posted By: bobbob
Traction Control was an option. I live in the mountains and we get snow.

I don't understand your concern. To get going in snow, you want some wheel spin, so it's actually good that you don't have TC. Otherwise if you had it, you'd have to turn it off.

Get yourself some proper winter tires and you'll be all set.

for me at least, TC has been something i disabled. My experience is that from a standing start it actually impedes your ability to get out of a rut, and into turns it apparently does the same. Also at least with my GM vehicle's I've always had issues with them needing service or complaining about service, or worst of all forcing the vehicle into a lower power mode.

My 97 rodeo had only rear ABS which I removed (common issues and not worth fixing) The 03 KIA doesn't have any feature lol. Both SUV's have ABS which I guess is OK, but I prefer without.

On the Trailblazer with Stabilitrak when we had snow and ice this winter I found It more of a pain than helping me, esp when acceleration from a stop.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I hate traction control. Be glad you don't have it.

Quote:

I live in the mountains and we get snow.

One wheel drive is probably good in South Texas, not so much in some areas of the country

I've never had traction control on any of my vehicles, and I live in Michigan, with no accidents under my belt. My right foot is my traction control. What's the big deal? With the right tires it's not really necessary.

My '09 Sable is the first vehicle i've owned to have either ABS, or "Traction Control" I put that in quotations, b/c on most cars, including mine, the traction control is just a software extension of the abs system. instead of cutting power to one wheel or the other, it just applies the brakes on the side that slips.

as to what i had previously that didn't have these options:
1987 Olds 98, with every option exept sunroof/leather/mobile phone
2000 Hyundai Sonata, Base Model, with the only options available for it's trim level - CD/Moon Roof
2005 Dodge Neon SXT - that was fairly stripped down, just Power windows, and a CD Player, not even Cruise.

one of the features that sold my brother on his Challenger ('13 Hemi R/T+ Blacktop) was that as part of the track pack that was included in the R/T+ Blacktop Pkg, he can actually turn the traction control and abs off, actually Fully off. unlike most other systems.

Heh heh. Best traction control is a highway rated AWD with a good LSD in back. The traction control in my '14 Transit Connect is pitiful in snow. My first 528e had a 3.46 LSD diff. It did very well in snow. To the OP, Invest in a set of winter wheels and tires. Pack some survival gear and a good shovel.Den up and stay off the roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back