Flashing high beams at other drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I am amazed you can keep a sense of humor with all that. When I used to visit those areas I thanked God my area wasn't that bad. Well, it's going to get there. Texas never wants to be second to anyone!

The other day I rode my skateboard over a bridge overpass on I-5 in San Diego when traffic was moving about 10MPH maximum.

There was about 6 to 8 car lengths between most of the vehicles, and Everybody had a phone stuffed in their face.

Watching rats in a maze from above, one could discern more intelligence.

Thirty years ago or so, the traffic was bumper to bumper on one of the freeway in the Orange County at 4:00 in the morning; we could not believe it!

I remember one time driving at night when a police car politely flashed to pass a car going below the speed limit in the fast lane. The slow driver ignored the flashes and on the third time the trooper flashed his high beams twice, the slow driver mashed the brakes. I was in the right lane watching from a safe distance. There were no wrecks, but the slow driver not realizing it was a police car because it was dark, got pulled over. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
dlundblad said:
I would think it'd be just as easy for the flasher to pass someone in the right lane..

It might be easy, but it is illegal in many states.
So is speeding...and that's in ALL states...

Quick question:
if legal speed is 65, traffic on the left is moving at 63, and i am in the right lane moving at 65 (and of course passing them joyfully), am i passing on the right (illegally)?

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
dlundblad said:
I would think it'd be just as easy for the flasher to pass someone in the right lane..

It might be easy, but it is illegal in many states.
So is speeding...and that's in ALL states...

Quick question:
if legal speed is 65, traffic on the left is moving at 63, and i am in the right lane moving at 65 (and of course passing them joyfully), am i passing on the right (illegally)?

In most states. In Maryland it is OK.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: pandus13

Quick question:

In most states. In Maryland it is OK.

small additional comment: I am already in the right-most lane. it's just traffic in the left lane is moving slower then me...

By the book you are passing illegally on the right lane so you can get a ticket. But reality nobody got a ticket for going faster on right lane, as long as you are not going much faster than speed limit(15-20 MPH or more faster).

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I never flash for any reason. It shortens the life of my bulbs.

This is true, using your bulbs (any of them) will decrease their life span. However this state of entropy does not bother me, as the car is there to serve me and the Golf's bulbs are easy to change.

"Things fall apart, it's scientific..." - Talking Heads, Wild Wild Life

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Saw this happening the other day in a rain storm out on the highway. This is one of my greatest pet peeves when driving and is the hallmark of a d-bag driver. The driver comes up speeding behind you and aggressively flashes their brights to scare you into getting out of their way. Seen this happen in lanes besides the left lane as well. It doesn't only happen if the guy in front is going a little slow; the d-bag uses it as a way to clear out the lane for himself because he is too important to have to change lanes and go around. I've also seen some drivers overtake other cars, come back in front of them and turn on their hazards/turn signal as a message that the other driver was going too "slow."

End rant.

For people who drive in left lane while not passing car, or drive slow in left lane (slower then rest of the people) for them, I just wished I had LED lights!

This happens on a 12 lane highway in my area.
two highways converge for a few kms so the fourth lane from the right is the most right lane up head, mostly truckers flash as they stay on my butt, Douche Bags.

So I should move three lanes to the right just so I can move three lanes back up ahead?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
This is the problem in America, too many bad drivers. If they're flashing their lights, it means you're going too slow so you should move over. There's a reason it's called flash to pass, but that's mainly for passing on 2 lane roads.

Driving in Germany is amazing compared to the US, you don't even need to flash anyone, all you do is come flying up on someone and they just move right over. They pay attention to the roads unlike here where people feel entitled to hog the left lane. Basic rule is to keep right unless passing. Doesn't matter if you're already going a little over the speed limit.

Exactly.

I like it when I am trying to pass another semi truck with mine and a 4 wheeler comes behind me and starts doing the flashing thing, At that point, I just take my time on doing the passing and really tick them off. If their patience level is such that they cannot wait for a 70' truck grossing 80,000 lb to pass another, they deserve to have their buttons really triggered. And I am just the one to help them along. If they truly wanted to get on by, they could just wait for another few seconds and I would be on by the truck I am passing. I am not one of those company truck drivers that likes to get out in the passing lane and have a turtle race with the other truck. I get on around as quickly as possible and get back over to the right. That is, unless someone who thinks they are on a mission from God gets behind me and starts being a moron with the lights.

A great one, one night. I moved to the left lane with my semi. A car got behind me and started the light game. I just stayed there. They were right on my bumper. Their patience wore thin, so they figured they would just shoot on around me on the right. They failed to see the broke down vehicle on the right ( the reason I had pulled over to the left ), and had to eat the ditch to avoid hitting it. Sometimes I would pay for tickets to watch the goofy stuff folks do out on the road. Free entertainment.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I like it when I am trying to pass another semi truck with mine and a 4 wheeler comes behind me and starts doing the flashing thing, At that point, I just take my time on doing the passing and really tick them off. If their patience level is such that they cannot wait for a 70' truck grossing 80,000 lb to pass another, they deserve to have their buttons really triggered. And I am just the one to help them along. If they truly wanted to get on by, they could just wait for another few seconds and I would be on by the truck I am passing. I am not one of those company truck drivers that likes to get out in the passing lane and have a turtle race with the other truck. I get on around as quickly as possible and get back over to the right. That is, unless someone who thinks they are on a mission from God gets behind me and starts being a moron with the lights.

A great one, one night. I moved to the left lane with my semi. A car got behind me and started the light game. I just stayed there. They were right on my bumper. Their patience wore thin, so they figured they would just shoot on around me on the right. They failed to see the broke down vehicle on the right ( the reason I had pulled over to the left ), and had to eat the ditch to avoid hitting it. Sometimes I would pay for tickets to watch the goofy stuff folks do out on the road. Free entertainment.

The most irritating thing for me is not only that most of drivers are uneducated, but they are PLAIN STUPID!
Driving on I-70 through Rockies, I see semi gives signal, it is uphill, I flash him to go ahead while he has some kind of moment. Then there are 10 idiots behind me honking why I let him go, since they are in hurry.
They have serious issues in understanding concept of momentum, gravity and weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Their patience wore thin, so they figured they would just shoot on around me on the right. They failed to see the broke down vehicle on the right ( the reason I had pulled over to the left ), and had to eat the ditch to avoid hitting it. Sometimes I would pay for tickets to watch the goofy stuff folks do out on the road. Free entertainment.

Haha that's hilarious! And you'll also have the low-patience douchebags that will pass people in the shoulder (or is that what you were talking about haha)! THOSE are the ones who deserve to wreck out! Yep,I'd DEFINITELY buy tickets to watch quality entertainment like that haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back