Mobil Delvac MX Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I have a 2004.5 Dodge Cummins. I have a local small batch diesel facility where i buy my fuel from. I noticed this week that they carry Kendall Super D-XA Syn Blend for $12.75 a gal and Mobil Delvac MX for $14.75. I have done research on both. Kendall seems pretty straight forward with a titanium additive package. I have never seen the Delvac MX, only Delvac Super 1300. On Mobil's site, not much info on the MX oil other that it is CI rated and severe conditions oil. Still learning and trying to understand all this oil stuff. Any thoughts, input or suggestions concerning these two oils? I found an older OA on PQIA on the Kendall and looks pretty stout. Not sure about the titanium stuff tho. Thanks in advance for all the help!!! BTW, I should add that I have upgraded to a Donaldson DBL7349 15 micron filter for my next oil change.

Last edited:
Hi,
JStep - Welcome to the BITOG Forum. I hope all Members will be helpful and that you enjoy our company

Exxon-Mobil's Delvac product range is designed for Commercial use and has been around for many decades. MX carries various Approvals etc. and if it meets the requirements of your engine it will do a great job

In real terms there is very little difference (if any) in the end user performance of matching products from the other major Oil Companies

You can use Delvac products with great confidence

Hi Doug!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! I do enjoy the forum members and the extensive knowledge base!!!!! I have learned much in reading the posts the last few years!

I know these oil questions are usually a dime a dozen and "there is no best oil". But not having a recent Oil analysis of these oils and knowing their respective additive packages, I hesitate to use them. Thus the question posted.

Thanks again for the reply!
James

The Delvac MX is good oil, but formulated for pre-DPF trucks. Should be CI4+ rated. High SAPS and high TBN, would be good for long oil change intervals.

Thanks for the input A_Harman! My truck is pre-DPF so sounds good. Any thoughts/ input from you all about the Kendall Duper D-XA Syn Blend with titanium? Would the syn blend do better in the Florida heat? Or toss a coin with these two oils? Only $2 difference per gallon.

Thanks,
James

The Delvac MX would be fine in the Florida heat, no need to go synthetic blend because of that. Those are both oils I would run in my truck, but since I like RT6 so much, I don't. The cold Michigan winter makes me want 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: JStep
Any thoughts/ input from you all about the Kendall Duper D-XA Syn Blend with titanium?

Since we're talking about a Dodge here...

"Kendall Super-D XA with Liquid Titanium shows reduced wear of criical parts in the severe Cummins ISB test."

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/docu..._Fact_Sheet.pdf

So do other brands of oils ....

Any CJ-4 will suffice quite well, and I would challenge anyone to show a true statistical preference in the ISB for any particular lube.

I'm on my second oci using Kendall Super D-XA. I'll have a couple UOA's this summer but since they'll be the first UOA's for my truck, I won't have anything to compare to regarding TBN retention.

I ran the Kendall in my previous truck where I had many UOA's to compare it to but it disappeared into the USPS abyss. Lost money and info there.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
So do other brands of oils....Any CJ-4 will suffice quite well, and I would challenge anyone to show a true statistical preference in the ISB for any particular lube.

Regarding the ISB, Kendall attributes the titanium additive to a 15% reduction in cam lobe wear, and 46% reduction in crosshead wear.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure the ISB is the best engine to use as a test bed-they're pretty tough. Now, an ISX on the other hand... Not so much!

The ISX doesn't have the same potential for valvetrain wear as the ISB because it has rolling cam followers, while the ISB has sliders.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure the ISB is the best engine to use as a test bed-they're pretty tough. Now, an ISX on the other hand... Not so much!

The ISX doesn't have the same potential for valvetrain wear as the ISB because it has rolling cam followers, while the ISB has sliders.

I've posted these before, but this is an ISX:
isxcam01.jpg

isxcam03.jpg

isxcam04.jpg

I was very surprised to see a roller setup fail in this manner. But apparently it isn't uncommon with this engine.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Made in China parts?

I've got some pics of those too
wink.gif
Perhaps these were as well, don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back