Burger King employee pours oil down storm drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burger King employee pours oil down storm drain.
confused2.gif

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/l...-oil-dow/nmD6C/

The biggest issue (that the report misses) isn't the environmental part, but the line-clogging nature of FOG (Fats, Oils, Greases). FOG is responsible for countless sanitary sewer overflows when it's poured down a drain and later congeals. Hopefully, for the integrity of the storm sewer system in that area, there's an outfall close by where the cooking oil will end up back out in the open.

This shouldn't have happened, but honestly, there are worse things for the environment than used cooking oil.

When I was in High School in the mid-70's I worked at a couple of fast-food places (anyone remember Burger Chef?). Even then we dumped the old oil in a barrel out back, and someone bought it. They probably didn't pay much, but we didn't throw it away.

Most of my customers throw it in the dumpster, some actually have a grease dumpster, a select few have a reclamation system that stores in a heated tank for the reclaimer truck.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The biggest issue (that the report misses) isn't the environmental part, but the line-clogging nature of FOG (Fats, Oils, Greases). FOG is responsible for countless sanitary sewer overflows when it's poured down a drain and later congeals. Hopefully, for the integrity of the storm sewer system in that area, there's an outfall close by where the cooking oil will end up back out in the open.

This shouldn't have happened, but honestly, there are worse things for the environment than used cooking oil.
First of all the Storm system and a sanitary system aren't even remotely the same animal. Storm systems are for rain water/branches,leaves and all kind of debris. Sanitary system, well we all know what that is and its much smaller. They never interlink and a sanitary system leads to a waste water treatment plant. A storm system leads to a water retention area where it perks down into the ground. That being said and explained. All this stuff about oil being super harmful to the environment is propelled by a younger generation that really don't know but figure. I can tell you when I was younger my father would have me oil down the dirt alley by our house with used motor oil, gallons of it and the city boro would come out with a oil tanker and open the valves and oil the entire fairgrounds which was all dirt. It never killed the trees or even the grass. I ve heard all the one drop of oil contaminates a zillion gallon. Truth is the ground is a pretty good filter till it gets down and isn't oil natural. I can guarantee you that there are a lot worse things in a storm system than cooking oil. I once watched a new truck dealership drain a radiator of a tri-axle in a storm drain. Believe me that cooking oil wont hurt a thing. Its just new generation environuts freaking out over stuff they don't know about.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Most of my customers throw it in the dumpster, some actually have a grease dumpster, a select few have a reclamation system that stores in a heated tank for the reclaimer truck.
We do a lot of new construction and almost all new restaurant chains as well as school cafeteria's have grease pits, which are basically underground tanks to store the grease in until it can be pumped out and emptied. This was probably a older Burger King and never got a Grease pit installed underground.

We have a Buffalo Wild Wings, where it looks like someone threw 10-15 gallons of old cooking oil out the back door of the kitchen.

It has stained the concrete, killed all of the grass and shrubs... and it stinks like you wouldn't believe.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Burger King employee pours oil down storm drain.
confused2.gif

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/l...-oil-dow/nmD6C/

that website is horrible the 5 flash videos all requesting permission to store junk on my computer make it lag out.

They have insulated pump tanks now as well.

looks like a giant hot water heater.. they put a fitting through the wall.. and it gets picked up by a truck.

They also totally missed on the fact that it clogs up the drain.. and doesnt go anywhere... sigh.

Google FATBERG

Last edited:
These are minimum wage people. That job title does not require thinking. The vocabulary only requires thing like, "would like fries with that?" and "hot sauce?" and other such phrases. Once they wise up and switch to welfare, disability and EBT cards the vocabulary changes. They they learn, "it's my back", "I'm stressed out", and "no speaky engrish".

Blaming them for dumping cooking oil down the drain would be like expecting them to produce a birth certificate.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
These are minimum wage people. That job title does not require thinking. The vocabulary only requires thing like, "would like fries with that?" and "hot sauce?" and other such phrases. Once they wise up and switch to welfare, disability and EBT cards the vocabulary changes. They they learn, "it's my back", "I'm stressed out", and "no speaky engrish".

Blaming them for dumping cooking oil down the drain would be like expecting them to produce a birth certificate.

lmaorof
01.gif

Do you know if the general manager who was fired of this is one of those "no speaky Engrish," and as by you implited, illegal and stupid minimum wage earners? Also, do you know why he was fired?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

First of all the Storm system and a sanitary system aren't even remotely the same animal. Storm systems are for rain water/branches,leaves and all kind of debris. Sanitary system, well we all know what that is and its much smaller. They never interlink and a sanitary system leads to a waste water treatment plant. A storm system leads to a water retention area where it perks down into the ground. That being said and explained. All this stuff about oil being super harmful to the environment is propelled by a younger generation that really don't know but figure. I can tell you when I was younger my father would have me oil down the dirt alley by our house with used motor oil, gallons of it and the city boro would come out with a oil tanker and open the valves and oil the entire fairgrounds which was all dirt. It never killed the trees or even the grass. I ve heard all the one drop of oil contaminates a zillion gallon. Truth is the ground is a pretty good filter till it gets down and isn't oil natural. I can guarantee you that there are a lot worse things in a storm system than cooking oil. I once watched a new truck dealership drain a radiator of a tri-axle in a storm drain. Believe me that cooking oil wont hurt a thing. Its just new generation environuts freaking out over stuff they don't know about.
Cities in the Northeast are spending millions rebuilding their sewer systems to separate the storm drains from the sanitary sewers. In some areas, downspouts are tied into the combination systems and to find them thick white smoke is blown INTO the drain lines. When the smoke pours out of the gutters they've found a live one.

Quote of the decade. I salute you!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Can you state your qualifications to say that they "never" intersect? My Operator-In-Training certification test said otherwise...

when I worked at Pizza hut back in the late 90's, when the grease truck never came by often enough, we (high school students) were instructed to empty the grease trap into the empty canola oil jugs. This was after the place closed to avoid any suspicion.

Nothing new

To may don't think twice, or don't think at all.
Hummmm... is this the right thing to do? Is this good or bad? Will someone see me, video me doing this? Is common sense involved dumping this product down a drain? Do I get paid enough to think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back