Sealants are bad for automotive paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife had PDR work done on her new car and the reputable shop asked her what type of wax we used. She said that I use a product that last about six months and his reply was that sealants were bad for paint because it can trap moisture causing the paint to oxidize from the inside.

I've never heard such a thing. Thoughts?

Had to just laugh at this logic. 100% false. I know of many cars that were 20 years old and had sealants on them their entire life and their paint looks factory fresh.

For new paint, this might make sense, as the last of the solvents need to evaporate off and the curing complete its chemical changes in the paint.

But for fully cured paint?

Sounds specious...

It's true for freshly painted vehicles and even a new car that was perhaps just painted a few weeks earlier.

I would NOT use any wax or sealant on new paint for at least 90 days or more in cold weather areas. After the solvents have evaporated off of course you can use any wax or sealant you want.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
It's true for freshly painted vehicles and even a new car that was perhaps just painted a few weeks earlier.

I would NOT use any wax or sealant on new paint for at least 90 days or more in cold weather areas. After the solvents have evaporated off of course you can use any wax or sealant you want.
Dealers used to tell new owners that upon delivery.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
That's exactly what I was thinking but this guy was apparently talking about water.
Not a LOT of Rhodes Scholars in the detailing business.

So my wife had PDR work done on her new car and the reputable shop asked her what type of wax we used. She said that I use a product that last about six months and his reply was that sealants were bad for paint because it can trap moisture causing the paint to oxidize from the inside.

Another myth perpetuated by wax salesmen, along with "wax lets paint breathe, and paint must be able to breathe."

Originally Posted By: BRZED

Another myth perpetuated by wax salesmen, along with "wax lets paint breathe, and paint must be able to breathe."
The manual I had for a VW bug said the paint had to be "fed". Probably a bad translation.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
That's exactly what I was thinking but this guy was apparently talking about water.

He was the sales manager of body shop.

"Water gets trapped by the sealant".

*shrug*

He was the sales manager of body shop.

"Water gets trapped by the sealant".

*shrug*

Did he offer to sell you an alternate product?

Originally Posted By: Garak

But, they have no problems installing their own sealants for a hefty fee.

Thinking the same thing.
BTW I read from more than one source that "modern" paint and application is such that the paint is "cured" within weeks not months as before.

That's probably true. Nonetheless, I have no problem with following a bit of a waiting period, but I do have a problem with dealers' hypocrisy or the notion that a sealant is going to cause long term problems. That's laughable.

When I had one of vehicle re-painted a few years ago (sold it less than a year after), the paint shop recommended no washing/waxing for at least 90 days minimum, but id bird droppings get on it, wet a MF and dab it, no hard rubbing etc.
The paint had the clear mixed in instead of having the clear as the just a top layer.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
When I had one of vehicle re-painted a few years ago (sold it less than a year after), the paint shop recommended no washing/waxing for at least 90 days minimum, but id bird droppings get on it, wet a MF and dab it, no hard rubbing etc.
The paint had the clear mixed in instead of having the clear as the just a top layer.

That makes sense, giving the paint time to gas out before a wax or sealant is applied. Sounds like they used a single stage paint.

The manual I had for a VW bug said the paint had to be "fed". Probably a bad translation.
smile.gif

That's German humor.

Originally Posted By: Garak

But, they have no problems installing their own sealants for a hefty fee.

on a new car, you can apply wax/sealant immediately, since the paint shop ovens are very high temp., and the paint is "cured" when you take delivery.
on a re-paint, curing time is needed, since the oven temp has to be very low in the body shops, so interior trim/plastics do not melt.

^^ The paint is cured when you take title to the car. ^^ Apply wax or sealant as you desire.

I would simply ask them the following - "Is that fact or conjecture, and if its conjecture what is it based on?"

That one phrase has served me very well in the past in quickly uncovering unsubstantiated [censored], usually in business but works almost anywhere [censored] is found.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back