Oil for Allis Chalmers 5015 Tractor from 1984

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Just purchased a 1984 Allis Chalmers 5015 tractor with a Toyosha CS-100 diesel engine in it with 284 hours on the meter. The 1984 owner’s manual says do not use multi viscosity oil in this engine use only 30 weight oil. Oil has changed a lot in 30 years. Does the caution against multi viscosity oil still make sense? I am in NJ so it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Which oils would you recommend and why?

I don't know anything specific about that engine, but in general I wouldn't be worried about using something like Rotella T5 in 10w30 for pretty much any application where a straight 30 was originally spec'd in the 1980s.

You're correct - a great deal has changed with oils in the past 30 years. Want proof? Here's what appeared in the Simplicity 9518 owners manual (same as your Allis):

NfunlVt.png

Rotella 10w-30 would be entirely suitable. Good luck with the new tractor!

During the summer 30 will work great in the winter use a multi visc.HDEO.

Shell Technical replied that Allis specified no mulitgrade oil and to follow their recommendations. Are they just conservative or do they know something about that engine?

With only 284 hours on it you would only be halfway through an oil change with today's oils and equipment. Lots of agricultural equipment is good for 500 hour oci.

I would just use whatever hdeo you can get and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: TheSeeker
Shell Technical replied that Allis specified no mulitgrade oil and to follow their recommendations. Are they just conservative or do they know something about that engine?

You were contacted by a customer service rep that doesn't know any better. They're told to reply to inquiries with instructions to follow the manufacturer's instructions and nothing more.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I would just use whatever hdeo you can get and not worry about it.

Yep. 10w-30, 5w-40, 15w-40; any name brand HDEO will be fine. There's currently a rebate on Rotella T5 and T6 if that tickles your fancy. It's good until the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back