2015 Kia Rio long-haul reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the 1.6 GDI engine is a winner and I think it can last to 200,000 which is all I care to keep a car for.

But does anyone know anything about the 6-speed Automatic they pair it with?

I kinda like it; it doesn't shift like a regular transmission, it shifts like a dual stage clutch. Like the DSG VWs...

It's a toss up for me and the wife between the Rio, Yaris and Corolla. The Corolla is the obvious choice except for it's the most expensive.

The 10yr/100k powertrain warranty for the Rio is enticing. However she drives anywhere between 12-14k a year so it's likely only going to last 7 years.

I have owned plenty of Toyota Echos so I know the Yaris is a great vehicle with the 1NZFE being one of the best engines ever made and the transmission is good for 200k plus...

Just spitballing. But yeah.

If anyone has any information on the Rio/Soul 6-speed automatic I'd appreciate it.

We have two KIAs in our immediate family and they have been stellar. A 12 and a 15 though so we dont have any longevity experience but we would not hesitate to buy another at this point.

Dont know what trannys we have but they seem to work very well and the manual shift option is a nice perk for a guy who drove manuals for a long time

My neighbor has a Kia Soul that is 3 years old. I don't know if that is the same trans but the car has been 100% perfect. It has had nothing done but regular maintenance.

I do not question the engine, but it has one of the lowest crash scores. That is sort of why I like to drive a HD diesel to destroy the other guy. Sorry in advance.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I do not question the engine, but it has one of the lowest crash scores. That is sort of why I like to drive a HD diesel to destroy the other guy. Sorry in advance.

That mentality caused the problem.

Originally Posted By: glock19

What's even worse, that's not how collisions work
9vzYQwj.jpg

It did reasonably well in the latest battery of IIHS tests

To OP: The 1.6 Gamma in your Rio has been well proven over the past 5 years.
And even if by any chance you got a bad one, you've got a first class warranty backing you up.

Enjoy the new ride
thumbsup2.gif

I pretty much have the same mentality too, except sometimes I ride a motorcycle. I wanted my truck and car to hold up better than the other guy because I know I'm a safe and responsible driver. (2 million career miles OTR w/o an accident that's been my fault). I play by the rules, don't text, drink and drive, but too many of the "other guys" don't.

what problem?
grin.gif

I work really hard at avoiding drivers like you. Literally.....I would rather avoid hitting things or being hit, than drive a behemoth so that the crash kills the other guy, instead of me.

I have been mostly successful. Guys like you try to hit me on my motorcycle ALL-THE-TIME. So far, I have managed to get out of their line of fire. I am 63, and have ridden for 48 years on the road. So far, so good.

Is there a particular reason that you're looking at the Rio versus the Accent?? I test drove both just to compare before buying my '13 Accent SE. They do seem to drive differently although they're mostly the same materially. To me, the Hyundai seemed to be a little more refined albeit slightly less sporty and rode noticeably better. If you're looking for extras that Hyundai doesn't offer, then I can certainly understand.

The 1.6 Gamma II GDI is a really nice engine in my estimation but ultimately I didn't buy it to get 200K miles out of it. I don't liken it to my old 1.5 Tercel that I had years ago as I try to following the manufacturer's recommendations with Top Tier gas, non excessive idling, use of a low NOACK oil and things you might consider preventative maintenance for a GDI. The old Toyota wasn't particular in what it needed or how it operated...but it also wasn't as smooth or powerful or rode as nice or got 40 mpg on long trips. To some degree, that difference might still exist. Neither the Rio or Accent are stellar crash vehicles ( especially considering the recent overlap test ) but I would expect that with these vehicle's power to weight ratio.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

I work really hard at avoiding drivers like you. Literally.....I would rather avoid hitting things or being hit, than drive a behemoth so that the crash kills the other guy, instead of me.

I have been mostly successful. Guys like you try to hit me on my motorcycle ALL-THE-TIME. So far, I have managed to get out of their line of fire. I am 63, and have ridden for 48 years on the road. So far, so good.

wow, the amount of words you put into my mouth are amazing, so much pent up rage. let me elaborate then. i drive such a vehicle because when someone decides to hit *me* the chances of me, and my family's survival are much greater then a motorcycle hamburger machine. Debate physics all you like. Now, run along and drink less caffeine.

Last edited:

No matter how big you think you are, no matter how much you thump your chest about your HD diesel, there's always someone bigger on the road that will make your point irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

No matter how big you think you are, no matter how much you thump your chest about your HD diesel, there's always someone bigger on the road that will make your point irrelevant.

interesting point, and yet i find an 18 wheeler impractical, but thanks for pointing out the obvious to sound edgy i guess.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

interesting point, and yet i find an 18 wheeler impractical, but thanks for pointing out the obvious to sound edgy i guess.

Haw! I about fell off my chair! Great retort!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

yeah it wasnt with much self enjoyment though. i get it when people want efficiency in their vehicles, but little consideration to safety, and its not just small cars but motorcycles are the absolute worst.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

yeah it wasnt with much self enjoyment though. i get it when people want efficiency in their vehicles, but little consideration to safety, and its not just small cars but motorcycles are the absolute worst.

We drive larger vehicles here as well. My Wife runs a home health practice from her Ram which has already proven itself in a minor collision. You can't trump physics, but you can improve your odds...

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I believe the 1.6 GDI engine is a winner and I think it can last to 200,000 which is all I care to keep a car for.

But does anyone know anything about the 6-speed Automatic they pair it with?

I kinda like it; it doesn't shift like a regular transmission, it shifts like a dual stage clutch. Like the DSG VWs...

It's a toss up for me and the wife between the Rio, Yaris and Corolla. The Corolla is the obvious choice except for it's the most expensive.

The 10yr/100k powertrain warranty for the Rio is enticing. However she drives anywhere between 12-14k a year so it's likely only going to last 7 years.

I have owned plenty of Toyota Echos so I know the Yaris is a great vehicle with the 1NZFE being one of the best engines ever made and the transmission is good for 200k plus...

Just spitballing. But yeah.

If anyone has any information on the Rio/Soul 6-speed automatic I'd appreciate it.

Back to the original topic, don't necessarily jump to the corolla as the obvious choice. now that they are CVT with a "lifetime transmission fluid", I think that car is a question mark. ( I'm assuming your wife doesn't want to drive a stick shift). Unless you go with the base model which you can get with a conventional 4-speed automatic. I think transmissions are often the limiting factor in ultimate durability, and to me, the simpler the better. A lot of the new technology is to get fuel economy up and manufacturing cost and quotable maintenance cost (but NOT ultimate repair expenses) down. The powertrain warranty wouldn't factor heavily into it for me, because these are almost always offest by more required maintenance expense, in fact I think in most cases it works against the buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back