2004 civic, it's been a good run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the head gasket, bring it up here...if it has cold A/C and a solid body, it will sell for high KBB (or more) in a week!

Nice story. A co-worker had similar good service from his '97 Civic. He wanted to see 333,333 on the odometer, but it got totalled at 331k and some change.

Originally Posted By: meep
Add in piece of mind (she's retired and drives out of state frequently), and it's pretty much done.

I told her if she was attached to the car and was open to the risk of other unexpected failures, there's no harm at this point in maintaining it further. She's the last person to buy things that aren't practical, so if she's decided to buy new, I will be the last to complain. We've actually wanted to see her in something newer for a while.

humbled.

Your mom sounds like a keeper. She got her moneys worth out of the car and deserves piece of mind driving out of state with a newer ride at her age. The Civic served its purpose. Your mom also drove the same car 3-4x longer than your typical in debt car buyer does.

I gotta think there are cosmetic issues on a car like that by now. Mom shouldn't have to live like that.

Probably the cost effective thing is to get a new car, replace the engine with one of these $500 engines everyone is talking about and sell for the relatively ridiculous high prices that these things go for.

Nice....

I do agree that it is time for something new. Going out of state, makes it a much safer idea....

I wonder how well a CVT would hold up since she drives so much, I think that's all Honda is offering for their newer cars.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wonder how well a CVT would hold up since she drives so much, I think that's all Honda is offering for their newer cars.

That's the nice thing about the new Corollas. You can choose one with a CVT or 4 speed trans.

The Fit is actually a little cheaper than the Civic and gets better mpg, she might want to look into it

Rides like a skateboard compared to a Civic and makes the Civic appear like a luxury car for tiny bit more money. The MPG is only 1-2 MPG better then Civic which is sad for such a tiny car.

Nice run on that Civic, I had a 95 civic coupe for 230,000 miles sold running perfectly and the entire ownership period outside regular maintenance in manual required the following:

radiator at 180k
two exhausts- first one was Honda replacement so 2nd was free to replace as they offered lifetime replacement on OEM honda part.

Everything worked at 230,000 miles! The last time I spoke to 2nd owner (works at Target) it had 310k and it blew its head gasket as he let it overheat. I hear people diss Honda but this has been my ownership pattern for the vehicles(another Civic and Acura MDX). Nothing exciting but decent enough and trouble free....

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The Fit is actually a little cheaper than the Civic and gets better mpg, she might want to look into it

Rides like a skateboard compared to a Civic and makes the Civic appear like a luxury car for tiny bit more money. The MPG is only 1-2 MPG better then Civic which is sad for such a tiny car.

The new 2015+ Fit is made in Mexico now. I had a 96 VW GTI also made in Mexico. Junk.

New '15 Fit is $15,900 and new '15 Civic LX is $17,100. $1,200 price difference for a car made in USA/Japan or one made in Mexico. Tough decision.....
grin.gif

Last edited:
been an interesting update. she's still on plan to buy another civic, but my brother said he'd like a stab at learning to swap the head gasket with a friend on it. Awesome. It'd be a hoot if we can keep getting some miles out of it. More power to him -- I can't even get my hands in there to change the serpentine belts. It's one of the tightest hoods I've ever been into.

But yes, I agree--- Mom needs a new car. Cosmetically it's not bad. It looks like a 2004 civic that needs a date with some rubbing compound. The front bumper cover is getting weak and likes to unsnap, and the wheel covers are losing their silver paint, but really, it could just as easily have 160,000 by looking at it. The interior looks new. no joke. All the wear surfaces look new. This is both a combination of its own quality and her gentleness with it.

Great Mom, very good vehicle.

Originally Posted By: meep
been an interesting update. she's still on plan to buy another civic, but my brother said he'd like a stab at learning to swap the head gasket with a friend on it. Awesome. It'd be a hoot if we can keep getting some miles out of it. More power to him -- I can't even get my hands in there to change the serpentine belts. It's one of the tightest hoods I've ever been into.

But yes, I agree--- Mom needs a new car. Cosmetically it's not bad. It looks like a 2004 civic that needs a date with some rubbing compound. The front bumper cover is getting weak and likes to unsnap, and the wheel covers are losing their silver paint, but really, it could just as easily have 160,000 by looking at it. The interior looks new. no joke. All the wear surfaces look new. This is both a combination of its own quality and her gentleness with it.

Great Mom, very good vehicle.

something to consider: minimum costs to replace the head gasket is $500, engine gasket kit, timing belt, and machinist costs. low mileage engine on ebay is $500, no need to do the head gasket in that case, but timing belt would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back