WIX now offers bypass filter base 24755

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking through Wix's specialty offerings when I noticed they now offer a bypass filter base #24755

Quote:
Principle Application:

By-Pass Filter Base to Add Spin-on By-Pass Filter on Small Gas and Diesel Engines - used w/ 51050 - 51051 - 51320 or 51704 which have 5/8-18 threads - line sizes are 1/8 NPT in and out

Thought that was worth mentioning.. pretty cool... rockauto has the base for $28.

Looked and saw the part on RockAuto. $28.79

My question is: Are the filters you mentioned better in terms of micron rating?

Here I'm guessing. Regular filters go from a stated 25 microns to 20; sometimes a bit finer to around 17 microns?
Bypass filters need to filter down to around what, 7 or 5 microns to be worth it?

I'm asking. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Looked and saw the part on RockAuto. $28.79

My question is: Are the filters you mentioned better in terms of micron rating?

Here I'm guessing. Regular filters go from a stated 25 microns to 20; sometimes a bit finer to around 17 microns?
Bypass filters need to filter down to around what, 7 or 5 microns to be worth it?

I'm asking. Kira

According to wix 51050, 51051, 51320 are 10 micron nominal.

I assume 5/8-18 is a common bypass filter thread so maybe there are better options out there

I haven't had any luck on finding guides to installing these. I think they're interesting. I wonder, how difficult is it to install?

Those bases were used on engines before full flow oil filters were used on engines.

Bases are fine to use and available in multiple thread sizes. Tough part is finding a "real" bypass filter vs. one that is masquerading as one.

For installation, most kits come with directions. For the DIY standalone, find a spot, mount the filter, T into an oil pressure source(usually the oil pressure sender) to feed the bypass, and return the oil to the oil pan, the dipstick tube, or the oil fill cap.
No two installs are the same. And, it requires a little bit of common sense and mechanical knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back