Triumph Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine has a 2014 Triumph Street Triple R 675. I do not know motorcycles. That is how he describes it.

He wanted me to ask you what oil is best for the Los Angeles County inland climate. He also asks if the K & N oil filter is better than the Triumph product. The K & N he says is a lot more expensive.

Thank you for your responses.

Triumph requires you to use a semi or full synthetic in the manual if you want to keep your warranty. I would suggest the Mobil 14T Motorcycle oil in 10w40.

I run a K&N direct factory replacement in my bike. They last forever and are reusable, which is nice if you do not have local dealer in your area. The nearest to me is a two hour drive so I find it convenient to have a filter I can clean and reuse.

I buy the K&N oil filters sometimes just out of convenience, but I don't feel they are superior to any other filter. The oil for that bike shouldn't be a big deal, it's a water pumper in a mild climate. It's also a slightly detuned version of the original design, so even less stressed. I would recommend whatever meets owner's manual specs and hasma cool looking bottle.

My riding buddy has that bike and he uses Mobile 1 4T 10W-40 or Amsoil 10W-40 and K&N filter for the same reason Robenstein speaks of. When his warranty is up he says he'll use Rotella 15W-40 or Mobile 1 15W-50.

Last edited:
K&N can advertise "more power" because they are more porous than paper or oiled foam, thereby letting more airflow thru. Being more porous means more dirt particles get into the engine. You decide which is more important to you.

Last edited:
The OP asked about K&N oil filters. For some reason the discussion has become about their oiled cotton-gauze air filters.

OP, I've used the K&N oil filters for many years. I've never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
The OP asked about K&N oil filters. For some reason the discussion has become about their oiled cotton-gauze air filters.

OP, I've used the K&N oil filters for many years. I've never had an issue.

For some reason I did not catch that. K&N makes good oil filters, however, I will say I had one fail catastrophically about 800 miles into an oil change when it started leaking like sieve when the gasket failed and I lost 2 quarts of oil in 20 miles. Luckily I caught it before there was any engine damage and they did send me some free ones for my trouble.

K+N oil filters are nothing special except specially costly. Wix filters for my Victory Hammer + triumph Bonneville, neither have water cooling so its the best for them Redline ester oils. formerly used Amsoil but not any more, they can keep their PROPRIETY formulations!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back