Blackstone Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Porsche C2S with 44,000 miles on it (bone stock car). I change my oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 0/40W. On my last Blackstone analysis, they said my sodium was high (69) versus the previous two reports of 6 and 7 respectively. Potassium is right in line with where it should be as is all other tests they conducted. They said the high sodium might be from an additive or coolant leak. When I inquired again, they said since the potassium was very low, it is most likely from additive. Thing is, I've added nothing to my oil. Appreciate thoughts. BTW, oil level and coolant level are consistently right on the mark - neither gaining or losing either. Thanks......

Well, M1 0w-40 does not contain sodium, and since you did not use any aftermarket additives, then I don't see how it could have come from an additive. Have you had the car serviced/repaired recently? Is it possible the shop changed your oil with something other than M1 0w-40 without you knowing?

Do another UOA and recheck. Maybe send it to a different lab this time.

Thanks for the quick replies. The car has not been serviced other than the oil change and you may be right in that something other than Mobil 1 was used. It is however a very reputable shop.

Ahother suggestion from a PCA member was to add some Uview coolant dye, change the oil in 3000 miles and see what the reading shows then and if a UV light picks up any traces of the Uview dye in the motor oil.

I don't know if it is permissible on this forum, but can you suggest another lab?

And, I will post my UOA soon.

Thanks.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 0356kid
and you may be right in that something other than Mobil 1 was used.

When you post the UOA, we should be able to tell if it was M1 0w-40 or something else based on the add pack composition.

I am new to this forum and have my UOA saved in my PC. How do I download it to this site?

Originally Posted By: 0356kid
Thanks for the quick replies. The car has not been serviced other than the oil change and you may be right in that something other than Mobil 1 was used. It is however a very reputable shop.

Ahother suggestion from a PCA member was to add some Uview coolant dye, change the oil in 3000 miles and see what the reading shows then and if a UV light picks up any traces of the Uview dye in the motor oil.

I don't know if it is permissible on this forum, but can you suggest another lab?

And, I will post my UOA soon.

Thanks.....

One of the best labs I feel is Polaris. Especially if you buy a 10 pack of UOAs. They give you TBN, oxidation and nitration.
Oxidation is important as it tells you how the base oil is holding up. Unsure why Blackstone does not provide it.

You can also buy a UOA kit at NAPA.

I would also get a VOA (new oil) report since addpacks can change without notice.

That way, you will know exactly each elemental value of what went into the engine verses what you see in the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back