Did I make a noob mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
OK, for starters this is my second season of riding and first commuting, so I am a noob.
Anyways, last week while going back home there was another biker sitting on a red light and I pulled up beside him. In the past I had few riders that were total strangers to me pulled up beside me, so I thought it was fairly normal.
Mind you I pulled up fairly slowly and he saw me in his mirrors. However, before I even stopped, he started cussing at me (that's how I know he saw me).

He started yelling that we don't ride together and started dropping f-bombs. I told him that I don't plan riding with him, but having a full face helmet, I don't think he could hear me all that well. Before he got a chance to cuss at me some more, the light turned green, I let him go first and then we went our separate ways.

On the way home I started to think about this incident and I think that this guy had a fair point but his conduct was rather poor. He could've just as well ignore me, but then perhaps by being rude he was trying to teach me a lesson.

What do you guys think? Did I commit a big NO NO?

I don't feel comfortable pulling up along side (in the same lane)someone I don't know, but there was no reason for the guy to flip out on you.

was this a typical cruiser/harley guy VS a sport/[censored]/rocket? Ive had harley guys not wave back.

I rarely pull up completely next to someone, others have done to me and we've just nodded.

I dont think you did anything wrong, guy is just an idiot. I wouldn't swear at another person.

You did nothing wrong other than encounter an a-hole. People pull along side all the time, and at worst it's kinda like rinding an elevator with someone you don't know, just a little awkward, nothing more. I don't normally do it but no big deal.

You sound like a reasonable guy, I commend you on your self restraint. I hate to admit it but I'd probably have followed him to his destination to "discuss" some basic kindergarten-level manners. Seriously , good on you.

What bike ya riding?

I wouldn't pull up next to another rider I didn't know.

I've seen riders on several occasions, come to a stop at a light or Stop sign, and apparently forget to put a foot down, and just fall over. If I don't know what kind of rider they are, or aren't, then I give them plenty of room to fall over, or do whatever other tricks they might pull.

Now if I'm riding with someone that I know is a good rider, then sometimes I'll pull up alongside them at a stop, or vice versa.

I will never ride next to another Motorcycle on the street, as I want to be able to react and maneuver around any sudden hazard that might arise, without worrying about another bike right next to me.

I see Motor Officers riding next to each other all the time, and I still think it is very poor practice.

I don't typically ride up next to someone else. If they're in the middle of the lane, I'll stay single file. If they're off to the left or right, I'll ride up staggered and probably get a little closer than if I was single file.

Still though, I don't see any reason for the other guy to cuss you out though (unless you were somehow weirdly close to him when you pulled up).

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Personally, I would not do what you did. But if someone did this to me, I would not flip out like that other guy did either.

The guy was a turd.
Why did he do it its Toronto there is more than your fair share of southern Ontario Turds to go around.
Worst drivers ever, and I drive through Quebec now and again.
They are always getting mad, poor people.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I wouldn't pull up next to another rider I didn't know.

I've seen riders on several occasions, come to a stop at a light or Stop sign, and apparently forget to put a foot down, and just fall over. If I don't know what kind of rider they are, or aren't, then I give them plenty of room to fall over, or do whatever other tricks they might pull.

Now if I'm riding with someone that I know is a good rider, then sometimes I'll pull up alongside them at a stop, or vice versa.

I will never ride next to another Motorcycle on the street, as I want to be able to react and maneuver around any sudden hazard that might arise, without worrying about another bike right next to me.

Bingo.

Flipping out on you was a little over the top, but you've got absolutely no business pulling up next to another motorcycle whose rider you don't know well at an intersection or on the road.

No, and I think you'll be fine because of the way you asked us on here. You just got a free lesson on how NOT to act towards others. Especially those people on 2 wheels. I respect everyone on the road with the exception of drunks. So pay no attention and maybe next time you'll get someone nicer..OR if you feel like you encroached on his space...stagger back a few feet next time. Just remember..it's all good.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't pull up along side of another rider unless he's going straight ahead and I'm turning right. I've had plenty of guys pull up along side of me and I didn't mind, none rode side by side down the road and that's the way it should be.

I think the guy you ran up to was a jerk.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Personally, I would not do what you did. But if someone did this to me, I would not flip out like that other guy did either.

I agree, i don't pull up beside anyone i don't know. But i'm not angry if someone else pulls up next to me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

i agree with QP here.

Wow, makes me want to intall a tire iron holder on my bike. I don't pull up, meybe line up my front tire with their rear, just because I've met enough [censored] and under-medicated morons in my life.
Treat everyone as a bat with rabies, but you did nothing wrong. Maybe should have cracked his helmet, otherwise notjing wrong.

After 50 years on the perverted highway I've learned bikes are narrow as an arrow and you
may see 3 per lane... so speaking as a lane sharing Rider we are happy to share our
space with any two wheel stranger... but I've also noted that some Bikers claim 100% of the
lane for them selves like the way selfish cagers do... its not what Riders do... so my
advice is just pull up nicely and give a heart felt wave... don't expect one back... someday
they may graduate to the level of a Rider and learn to share...

I think he is a jerk. Btw, did you pull up really close to him? Were you on a scooter? I know some bikers look down on scooter riders unless it is a chick.

If there's space for my bike, I'll pull up there. The worst I have ever encountered is being totally blanked, more often I'll get a nod, sometimes you get to chatting.

Your guy was a self-important idiot. I would have made a point of dusting him off the line.
laugh.gif

Lots of stressed out, crazy, and angry people in the world today. Best to err on the side of caution.

I don't mind if someone pulls up to me....but I never do it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back