Bilstein HD or Gabriel Ultras

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 02 Montero could use some new shocks and struts. I have narrowed it down to Gabriel Ultras or Bilstein HD. They are 2 different types in that the Biltein are Monotube and the Gabriels are twin tube. Cost for Gabes is ~$220 and the Bils are ~$360. With 175,000 miles on my montero is it worth the extra cost for the Bils.

Most of my driving is on road with occasional off road.

Probably keep it at least 3-4 more years. Possibly until it won't make sense to fix it anymore. Just put a used tranny in it for $3,000. It only lists the 4600's as available for it. Current rear shocks have rusted the dust cap is about half gone and eaten up with rust. Really the shocks are still ok and not sure how much the dust caps really do. I could put some new covers on them so I may just stick with them but am thinking of putting some new ones on it.

I haven't used those specific Gabriels, but the Bilstein HDs that replaced the low mileage basic replacement Gabriels on my Caprice were a revelation in ride and handling.

Get the Bilstein HD. Best shock you can buy for a daily driver. I'd use Bilstein on any car/truck they're available for.

Can't comment on the gabreils, or the HD's but I love my 5100's on my F150! But for just a few years the cost might not be worth it unless you want to upgrade the "performance."

I haven't used either, but given the age and mileage i'd save a little money and install the Gabriels. I'm sure you'll hear 'don't skimp on shocks!' But this is BITOG.

I have used both and both are good shocks. I'd say if you want to save a little money go with the Ultras. I am running them on my Ranger right now and am very happy with them. I had Bilsteins on my Explorer before I bought the Ranger. Also very good shocks.

Bilsteins are IMO the best. But priced accordingly.

We use Ultras here on fleet trucks and I put a set on my daughter's Mazda/Ranger. Fantastic pricing on an excellent shock...

I haven't used Bilstein, but I've been mighty impressed with the Gabriel Ultras I put on my Nissan Frontier.

I had cheap, low-end Monroes on it and the Ultras have been a huge step up. They were pretty hard at first, but it seems they've softened a little over several thousand miles.

I would definitely get Gabriel Ultras again.

I am not blown away by the 5100s I have. They seem valved too stiff in the front and too soft in the rear. They replaced oem bilstein TRD at around 116,000 miles. The rear didn't change much, but the front improved. oem bilsteins don't seem to last any longer than oem kybs and other foreign oems (can't recall off-hand who makes the honda/acura oems--- those hold on for a long time).

In your case I think the Ultras would be a good way to go. I suspect they are similar to the monroe Reflexes which I have had excellent luck with. I've never read a bad review on the Ultras.

I have Bilstein shocks on my Jeep. If I have to buy shocks I get Bilstein unless I am about to dump a vehicle.

Bilstein are the best and have a lifetime warranty. All other shocks try and measure up to Bilstein.

That being said, I think Gabriel is better than Monroe.

I'm running Bilstein HD's on my 98 chevy K1500 and they still feel great even after about 12 years and 94,000 miles.

Wayne

I had a very bad experience with Gabriel on my Astro van about 10 years ago. They were pretty much all gone in 10K miles. No warranty unless they leak.

Never again for me.

Rod

I just installed Gabriel Ultras on all four corners of the Avalanche. Could not be happier, the shocks were completely worn out. Really rides nice now!
The stock shocks were bilsteins I can't tell any difference in these Ultras and how the bilsteins rode when i first got the truck. Since this truck sits a lot and is not a daily driver i opted for the gabriels after a few members here stated good results on trucks with them. The Bilsteins may last longer, but I'm in a 12 year old truck with 64k on it, I'm not sure the extra cost for bilsteins would work out at this rate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back