What filter should I use for M35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new-to-me 2007 infiniti m35

I am reading that for this vehicle, it is best to avoid the OE Nissan filter.

I am currently using a bosch 3300.

This car is replacing an Audi a6 which had a massive oil filter from MANN while this M35 has a small one.

So my concerns are,

Is this small size a problem? I will be doing 5k oil changes.

What is a good recommended filter for this engine?

Would it be better to get a larger oil filter?

Bosch 3300 crosses to Fram 6607 which is very small. I would use either Fram Tough Guard or Ultra 7317 or 3593A. If there is room Wix 51347 (OD 2.9” X H 4.8”) is a good size.

The older Nissan filters weren't that great but the newer ones made in Mexico appear to be of better quality.

I've been running them in my Infiniti for 5-7500 mile OCIs without issue.

It the M35 was mine I'd use the 1" longer 7317/14610/51356 application size. With the exception of the extra length and more media it has the same specs. Son had a G37 specing the shorty 14612/6607 and used the 14610/7317 application size.

At 5k miles oci most any filter will work. Wix/Napa Gold 51356/1356 with silicone adbv will work well, same as used in Honda vehicles. I've had good success with the P1 PL14160 too.

The newer Nissan made in Mex has silicone adbv and metal endcap construction, but would still be the shorty unless you get the 7317/14610 cross.

The shorter filter 'hurts' nothing though. Just Nissan/Infinti is odd in that it specs the shorty where the longer series will fit and work fine. My .02

How many $$ do you have to spend?

M1 is hard to beat for a high end filter, a little pricey but in the overall scheme of things, not much money on a per mile basis.

Bosch and Bosch D+ both good filters.

NAPA gold.

I would hold out for a silicone ADBV.

I like larger filters, but it is what it is. I would not go to the bother of a larger filter. Get the filter its spec'ed for.

For my G37, I have used the Bosch 3300. More commonly, though, I tend to use a Wix (I've used 51365, originally specified; 51356, the oversize; and 51358, currently specified) and the Hastings LF113 or LF240 (oversized), depending upon what's available.

I don't worry much about wanting a bigger filter. I understand the desire for a bigger filter, but when I do oversize, it's usually because the regular one is out of stock or more money.

For 5k OCI's with changing the filter every change, no reason to go with expensive synthetic filters designed for extended OCI's.

Wix and Napa Gold are hard to beat for conventional (ie Cellulose fiber) filters.

Wix/napa gold, fram ultra, Mobil 1 all would be great. Probably more then you need really. Id stay away from Purolator or Bosch. Yes i know i have one on currently. It will be the last one I ever use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back