From TGMO -Mobil 1 AFE Results, even fuel mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w20 flavors.
Could be a combination of summer fuel instead of winter and an oil change.
The last time I went on a fuel mileage run I was able to get 5.9 lphk nearly 40 mpg now I did it again and got 5.3 lphk nearly 400 kms and almost exactly 20 liters of gas, 44.4 mpg.
I used Lubegard Bio-Tech in both OCs.
90 kph.
2014 Mitsu Outlander 2.4 CVT.
If I could get that mileage at a higher speed I would be very happy, not possible, Grandpa driving it is.

The noise from my engine has gone down by about 80% even my wife was surprised as she does not normally notice anything vehicle related.

10% different from 1 oil brand to another of the same grade is not possible, other conditions such a speed, wind, summer/winter gas, air pressure ... are much more influencing the gas mileage different.

Even when changing a thick 30 weight to a thin 20 weight you probably will not get better than 1-2% if everything are the same.

Conditions are nearly identical temp and humidity, wind not sure everything else is the same.

Full Summer blend does not hit till the end of May meaning I can still improve my mpg. I hope that's true.

I wish that what you observed is valid, but think about that if an oil can improve gas mileage that much auto manufacture will pay gold to Mobil to have AFE 0W20 in their EPA test and proudly advertise the result everywhere. Auto companies spent millions a year tried to improve gas mileage of the existing powertrain by 3-5% and most of them couldn't, they had to change transmission from 4-5 speed to 7-8 speed to gain about 5-7%, and the cost of 7-9 speed transmission can be $400-500 or more more than 4-5 speed.

There's too many variables involved to be able to accurately measure if a different oil effects your mpg. My car has dropped 5 mpg lately and I've got the same tires, same brand of oil, same brand of fuel, everything. It's just not accurate to test mpg on something so small.

Now if you had a spark plug not working for 1,000 miles and replaced it then you'd be able to accurately see the difference in fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I wish that what you observed is valid, but think about that if an oil can improve gas mileage that much auto manufacture will pay gold to Mobil to have AFE 0W20 in their EPA test and proudly advertise the result everywhere. Auto companies spent millions a year tried to improve gas mileage of the existing powertrain by 3-5% and most of them couldn't, they had to change transmission from 4-5 speed to 7-8 speed to gain about 5-7%, and the cost of 7-9 speed transmission can be $400-500 or more more than 4-5 speed.

In my first post I mentioned summer gas because that's what I think it was with maybe a little of the new oil, I will be specific next time.
In my second post I let you know what I noticed in similarities.
Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
0w20 flavors.
The last time I went on a fuel mileage run I was able to get 5.9 lphk nearly 40 mpg now I did it again and got 5.3 lphk nearly 400 kms and almost exactly 20 liters of gas, 44.4 mpg.
90 kph.
If I could get that mileage at a higher speed I would be very happy, not possible, Grandpa driving it is.

The noise from my engine has gone down by about 80% even my wife was surprised as she does not normally notice anything vehicle related.

I tried driving at that speed yesterday (cruise control set to 95), to see how good my mileage got. 3.3lphk. but that's a diesel. 4.0 lphk is more realistic for consistent results though.

at 120 kph i get about 4.5 lphk so it's not worth it going much slower imo...

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Koz1
0w20 flavors.
90 kph.

I tried driving at that speed yesterday (cruise control set to 95), to see how good my mileage got. 3.3lphk. but that's a diesel. 4.0 lphk is more realistic for consistent results though.

at 120 kph i get about 4.5 lphk so it's not worth it going much slower imo...

If they sold a diesel over here that I wanted I would have bought one of those.
Diesels rock.

My last oil fill was 0W-20 Peak Synthetic and my current fill is 5W-30 Formula Shell, and I have perceived no difference in fuel economy.

There are unaccounted-for variables somewhere in OP's situation. I suspect a number of environmental factors (fuel, wind, temperature, tire pressure, traffic, etc).

Koz1
Funny if you claimed a mileage improvement going the other way you would have a good hand full of supporters...just saying.

I do think the variances that you ate seeing are noise...I see more than 10% through an oci

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Koz1
Funny if you claimed a mileage improvement going the other way you would have a good hand full of supporters...just saying.

I do think the variances that you ate seeing are noise...I see more than 10% through an oci

I honestly thought my mileage would suffer, it didn't I'm surprised.
Like I said Im pretty sure the summer gas was the biggest difference but who knows really.
Maybe the Lubegard Bio-Tech is more synergistic with the Molbil 1 AFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back