Tesla Model 3 Picture - BMW I3 vs Tesla Model X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Styling means exactly nothing to me when it comes to buying decisions. I'll buy (or not) based on how the car works.

99.99% chance the Model 3 will make the BMW i3 irrelevant. The i3's only advantage will be its small footprint -- great for absolutely packed urban environments (e.g. big Asian urban centers), and that's about it. The Model 3 will win in every other category. That's my bet.

I wish the Model X didn't exist.

I think Tesla decided few years ago to produce Model X because American loves SUV/Minivan with more than 5 seating capacity.

They only started Model 3 project few months ago, after they started building the battery factory in Arizona. Since the price is much lower than Model S and X, they can sell a lot more than either and they will use a good percentage battery output from the new factory.

I know why they made it. I think it makes good business sense. I just wish they didn't have to. Or at least, if they were going to make a 3-row vehicle, I wish they could have given it a form factor more like a minivan and less like an SUV. I think America's obsession with SUVs is both a symptom and a cause of a lot of what's wrong with cars generally.

As know already know, America's so obsess with SUV's every manufacture has at least one SUV in their line up, even Porsche has SUV. Look back 20+ years ago none of the European manufactures has any SUV, but now almost every European manufacture has at least 1 and some have 3-4 or more models. In the 90's Honda didn't produce any SUV, they sold rebadged Isuzu SUV in their dealers for some years, only when SUV market was growing at much faster pace than car they decided to produce their own.

Tesla is just like everyone else, they are in business to make money, and demand for SUV is very high in USA that why they produce Model X.

Personally, I don't like either SUV or minivan because I don't like to sit too high when driving, and center of gravity is too high such that it isn't very stable when you do higher speed tight curve. For fun driving there is nothing better than a light small car such as Miata or S2000, especially on winding mountain road with a lot of tight turns.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Tesla owns the electric vehicle market. Remember the Leaf? Who does and who cares at this point.

The Leaf is the #1 EV in the US. [censored], They're all over the place in Metro Atlanta and we have the highest or second highest number of EV sales outside California.

That's surprising they are [censored] near extinct around here, OTOH Model S's are more or less common.

The Teslas look great. The i3 (like most other electrics) is hideous. I saw a Mitsu i-MiEV on the road the other day. I'd rather take the bus, or walk. I've seen bicycles with wider front tires. I was seriously shocked how small and narrow the tires were. I'd hate to take a corner at more than 10 mph in that thing. Front tire is a 145/65/15. Rear is 175/60/15. Yes, not many tires available in those sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back