22re - 84 toyota school me pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!
My buddy gave me his Toyota 22RE 1 Ton truck camper,
It is an automatic and tranny was rebuilt last year.

1. Some one please educate me on this motor. I uses a bit of oil, I plan on using synthetic 10w30 and keep topping off. The motor only has 86k miles.

2. Any links to repair manuals?

3. The tranny is seeping at the rear seal, he said he had it fixed, but I think it is still seeping.

4. It runs fine, but shifts a bit hard and will NOT downshift till I let off the gas a bit. why is this?

Last edited:
FIRST THING:

Make sure the "timing chain of death" has been fixed. These engines are notorious for breaking the timing chain guide and then having the chain flop around until it cuts through the front cover. This dumps all of the coolant into the oil pan and kills the engine. It's a bummer to fix, but there are plenty of vids around to help.

They also have a pretty hot cylinder head, and tend to cook valve stem seals. You'll notice a blue cloud behind you if you idle for a while. On the freeway under high load you hardly notice it. There are lots of theories about how to fix this and the modern valve stem seals take the heat better. You might want to look at this at the same time as the timing chain. The rocker arms are held on with a head bolt.

From your description, it sounds like you might have a vacuum leak to signal the trans for downshifting, so I'd look around for cracked/corroded lines.

Otherwise, they are an industrial engine. With even mild maintenance, they are bullet proof.

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
FIRST THING:

Make sure the "timing chain of death" has been fixed. These engines are notorious for breaking the timing chain guide and then having the chain flop around until it cuts through the front cover. This dumps all of the coolant into the oil pan and kills the engine. It's a bummer to fix, but there are plenty of vids around to help.

Ya what he said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back