Car body damage - replacing panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my Honda fit was hit again,
the kid scraped the entire driver side.
The front fender, the door drv side doors, rear qtr panel.

I want to try to fix as much as I can to save a few $$$s and have fun too.

1. Can I buy a front fender and paint it to match and replace it. I see some fender being sold for $30 plus shipping, wow, I mean really? cuz Honda oem ones sell for $300.

2. How do I find the color code for my silver color, is it in the door jam?

3. I think I can I lightly buff and paint one door to get rid of the issues.

4. Front door is dented and would getting a new door be cheaper?
The body shop wanted to reskin it, what the heck is this?

Thanks,

A $30 aftermarket fender will be garbage and fit poorly. You get what you pay for. Find a used OEM fender.

Have the body shop re-skin the door. This means the outer sheet metal is replaced, you'll have no idea anything ever happened to it.

A door skin is just the outer sheet metal. Before you bolt on the fender, "edge in" the paint before you put the fender on. Scuff the primer, reprime and paint all the inside edges that the body shop can't get to easily when he sprays the car. I would have the body shop bondo the existing skin to save $$$ if possible. If you don't care if the car looks like he.., just leave it.

Last edited:
Please provide a link to the aftermarket fender.
If you buy an aftermarket fender, buy a CAPA certified one, but don't be surprised when it doesn't fit right. And I mean off by a centimeter! A used OEM one will fit better (pun intended).

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Please provide a link to the aftermarket fender.
If you buy an aftermarket fender, buy a CAPA certified one, but don't be surprised when it doesn't fit right. And I mean off by a centimeter! A used OEM one will fit better (pun intended).

https://www.google.com/search?q=honda+fi...er&tbm=shop

ok, makes sense, I will stay away from el cheapo parts.
I found a few in junk store for a about $100, wrong paint color though.

If I want to order locally, can I order off orielly's or AAP?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
A door skin is just the outer sheet metal. Before you bolt on the fender, "edge in" the paint before you put the fender on. Scuff the primer, reprime and paint all the inside edges that the body shop can't get to easily when he sprays the car. I would have the body shop bondo the existing skin to save $$$ if possible. If you don't care if the car looks like he.., just leave it.

I will ask if the shop can bondo,
oh, taking off the skin of the door, is this labor intensive?

Although you can probably order body parts through o'reillys they'd be very expensive and take a while to come in. You have internet, you can do it more directly.

If you look on the bottom of your door you'll see sheet metal folded over by about 3/4 of an inch. If you unfold that... "unzip" it, you're un-skinning the door.

Id get parts from your local junkyard in the color your car is already. Since they've been fading in the same sunshine they'll be a pretty close match now, and continue to be so in the future.

New paint might match perfect now but will fade differently as it's a different chemistry/ process.

In the past I have looked for a fender on car-part.com close by in color. If you want to be 100% ask to look at it before they pull it. To me there is nothing like OEM paint. To me I'd even consider getting a whole door from a yard and bolting it in. Its the fastest, easiest way to a repair, but if you want to learn paint you don't get any of that

Re skinning the door can be expensive, but to alot of people its the only "right way". People tend to look down on bondo.Post up pics so we can see the extent of it

This is the dent and scratch right next to the tire on the rear panel
ouWgrAw.jpg

font door slight dent right at front edge
Me6Jc8K.jpg

front fender a little flatended and scratch on bumper.
8vmovJb.jpg

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Picture looks like you could polish most of the scuffing off.

I have a random orbital polisher,
so I just need some polishing compound?

Stock the damage looks light. I would polish by hand with a clean cloth. Some car waxes will polish the scuff away. I'm not a 'bodyman' but we have some who will chime in.

I can't really see much of a dent? I personally would much rather clean that up than start taking apart a factory car. You'll be taking out a bunch of plastic clips and stuff, not to mention the interior door panel, to actually replace the pieces they are talking about. I'd rather clean up the scratches and deal with minor sheet metal imperfections than to disturb a ton of plastic in the process of replacing panels. Plus, in MI, disturbing metal panels may lead to rust if not done exactly right.

By reskin the door, they mean replace the outer panel only. On most cars you can get just the outer panel and weld that in.

If you have a Certifit nearby, you can pick up aftermarket fenders and such from them. They are cheap and will fit, but are paper thin and will probably rust up North.

Do you have any friends in southern states that will be coming to visit you soon? Find a color matching used part on car-part.com and have the friend pick it up and bring it to you.

I was going to have my parents do this when they came home from FL this year, but decided not to do it this year. Maybe next May they will be delivering some new sheet metal to me for the Audi.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Do you have any friends in southern states that will be coming to visit you soon? Find a color matching used part on car-part.com and have the friend pick it up and bring it to you.

I was going to have my parents do this when they came home from FL this year, but decided not to do it this year. Maybe next May they will be delivering some new sheet metal to me for the Audi.

lol, I like the idea, I don't mind going on a road trip, Have a few buddies down south. I will see if I can find a color matched fender and door

close up

bumper
ZhNnbal.jpg

front door
lIpFaBT.jpg

rear qtr dent
EXV67wZ.jpg

OOJOkUd.jpg

front door, is this a tear in the skin or the paint just cracked?
oJebQN0.jpg

bumper and front fender
BtR5Jz7.jpg

b0WHydZ.jpg

rear door
kjkmRCS.jpg

Go to another body shop. Anybody who has a clue as to what they're doing won't need to re-skin the door, and without doing a hack job by putting on a gallon of bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back