Running just distilled water for a couple days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer your question: Nope. A couple days' worth of straight water won't hurt anything. But let it go too long and corrosion and rust will begin...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
when i was younger i recall my dad with bad ears used to run straight water in our mazda minivan and I clearly remember pulling into the driveway after a 20 min ride, turning off the car and then listening to the water boiling in the overflow tank...

You likely either had a bad radiator cap or faulty thermostat. Straight water will not boil until 248*F @ 14psi. A 50/50 mix raises the boiling point approximately 15*F under the same conditions. Water transfers heat better than ethylene glycol and would be safe to run by itself under light engine load conditions but the corrosion inhibitors, hard water stabilizers,antifoamants and wp lubricant that is added to the glycol is needed.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
when i was younger i recall my dad with bad ears used to run straight water in our mazda minivan and I clearly remember pulling into the driveway after a 20 min ride, turning off the car and then listening to the water boiling in the overflow tank...

Yeah the tank isn't pressurized, so when it got past the radiator cap into the hose going to the tank it boiled. If you could somehow "see inside" you'd see it behaving. But if you pulled the cap it would flash boil and scald you good.

I've run straight water, changing it every day for a week.

The simple green is a bit odd, I use cascade dish detergent to get oil out. Even that isn't "great" as it's got bleach, but it didn't wreck anything.

It will not boil over. You will be fine. We have been running race cars for decades on nothing but straight distilled water. Antifreeze is prohibited at the race track so there are plenty of cars running straight water without a problem.

Just drive easy, slow down a bit, be careful, watch your gauges and bring extra. Is it ok? Id prefer an appropriate mix. But you should be ok in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Water has significant surface tension which, in some circumstances, create metallurgically abrasive micro-boiling. Certain operators of Ford Powerstroke engines were found to have induced severe casting damage by running straight water, as opposed to the manufacturer specified coolant mixture. Warranties were hence denied for non-compliance with the maintenance manual.

Red Line "Water wetter" is supposed o deal with that micro boiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back