Specialized Vita for wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last 25 yeas, she has used department store Made In Usa Huffy $99.99 bike (I have men's model) I have been able to keep both the bikes running for those years but she wanted her to be professionally tuned. I was telling her that she should just get a new bike and get it fitted for her.

Once the LBS lady saw our bikes, she pretty much laughed at the Huffy tune-up suggestion, we settled upon Specialized Vita. I think this is about the lowest the LBS carries but overall seems to be well built. This was also assembled lot better than another pricey one. I made a bet with the LBS lady that the two bikes were made by two different technicians. When she looked at her records, she told me that the guy who assembled the pricey bike no longer worked there! "you must be an engineer!" was her comment to me.

I was hoping that going from 25 year old $99 bike to $550 brand new one would get her a lot lighter bike but that was not the case. The Huffy have steel frame but tubes are thinner than the one on the current alloy frame bikes. I just don't quite understand why the frame is so thick. Going from steel wheels and steel frame to alloy wheels and alloy frame should have resulted in significant weight savings but that is just not the case. I have weighed new and old one if there is a savings, it is not as dramatic as I had imagined.

Am I expecting too much?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/womens-multi-use/vita/vita-

If you're an engineer you will enjoy this

http://www.ibiscycles.com/support/technical_articles/metallurgy_for_cyclists/the_basics/

There is a reason aluminum frames use thicker walls and larger diameter tubing...but it doesn't mean they are heavier (when in fact the frame weight will be SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than a 25 year old Huffy frame). But frame weight when taken into account the entire bicycle weight is usually a pretty small percentage.

The Specialized will ride and tune better. I'll guess you saved 6 pounds which is quite a bit.
Top end tires that are not too wide can save more 'spinning weight' that is what matters most.

Enjoy the rides.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Good steel frames can weigh less than cheap aluminum frames.

True...but the OP is comparing a Huffy low carbon steel frame vs a entry Specialized aluminum frame.

But yes I have a Rodriquez OX Platinum steel frame that is going to be lighter than the Vita aluminum frame.

Vita complete bike is $550 MSRP

Rodriquez Adventure FRAME ONLY is $1599 MSRP

Aluminium tubes are wider to reduce flex. The steel tubes are more rigid so do not have to be so wide.
The first aluminum bikes had a lot of flex (power robbing) especially when you hammered on the pedals.

Last edited:
I hope the LBS let you take it for a test ride before purchase. The ride is superior to a Huffy. The Vita is a women's dimensioned bike. These are quality engineered bikes for the next 25 years of your riding. Your cables will initially stretch in the next few months. When you hear the gears click or the brakes are less responsive go back to the LBS for an adjustment. We always ask the customer to come back for a free adjustment to assure continued enjoyment.

She rode it in the LBS parking lot. We will purchase it tomorrow. I am thinking if I should take a weighing scale with me! But regardless, from all the research that I have done, this is a good bike and this particular specimen has been assembled extremely well by the LBS. I don't know if these are manufactured in China or in Taiwan. Hopefully, Taiwan but who knows!

I will compare the weights when we bring the new bike home. They won't even take the Huffy to trade/dispose! It is perfectly working bike and would hate to discard it. I might just hang it off the rafter in the basement if I don't find somebody who deserves it.

Well the deed is done; with stand and bottle carrier total was close to $600 out the door. I weighed both old and new. The new one is lighter but just by couple of pounds and at that time it did NOT have the stand attached to it!

Any significant weight saving would start showing up at every doubling of the price. For weekend recreational purposing and for staying on the flat paved rail trails, this should be pleasurable for decades to come. LBS gave us 30 days to upgrade bu we are not sure if it is worth the extra cost.

If she likes it and will ride it, it's worth the money.

Sounds like a similar journey as my wife had. She had discount store bikes and a few years back she got a Giant Cypress ladies model.

It was night and day compared to her DS bike.

I could keep her bike in tune. It would shift well, brake well, I kept things clean and lubricated. However, it just wasn't the same sort of ride as the new Giant.

Certainly not a racing bike. But she'll go on 17 mile coffee runs with our group. We just let her leave first and we catch her up by the time we get to the coffee shop.

If she likes it and rides it, you are getting your value from the bike.

Don't be sucked into bike envy.

I've been rocking my Giant Defy 2 for several years now. I'm just as fast as the other guys I ride with who have more CF and lighter group sets than my Tiagra equipped bike.

If something breaks, I'll upgrade it. However, I have the feeling that my heavier equipment will last a bit longer than stuff that weighs 10 grams less per component. Therefore, it may be a while before I need any component replacements.

Just an update:-

Wife is happy with her bike. It still needs the big derailleur adjusted as it is balky but we never ride where that gear change is required. Besides, we will get it adjusted within their free adjustment period soon.

I have been on that bike and YES, the difference between my old bike and this is like night and day. Even during loading and unloading the van, the new bike "feels" significantly lighter than the old one. I really can't explain that as I had put the scale on both and difference was minor. It could be the weight balance because to load in to the van, I need to lift one wheel at a time.

I am having hard time finding the tire pressure specification. I though it should be listed on the tire or on the rim but I could not find it.

Last edited:
If the weight difference is in the wheels/tires, you will feel it there first.

Fit is also a key to how a bike feels. It balances weight correctly front and rear, and places the rider in a position to deliver energy more efficiently to the pedals.

There should be a pressure range listed on the tire. If the rider is lighter, you can tend towards the lower end of that range safely, and for a softer ride.

If it runs the tires they list as stock on it, pressure is spec'd from 85 to 125 lbs, depending on size. Check http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/trainingall-season-road-tires/espoir-sport

TIRE : Specialized Nimbus, 26TPI, wire bead, Flak Jacket protection, 700x32c

No PSI listed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back