Running just distilled water for a couple days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am in the process of flushing my cooling system after a cracked head repair. At this rate it doesn't look like ill be ready to put the anti-freeze in for another day or two. Right now I currently have pure distilled water in my system, with some Simple Green HD, and plan to start flushing with just strait distilled water tonight.

If I have to run strait distilled water for a day or two, will I be ok? I understand anti-freeze has lube for the water pump, corrosion inhibitors, and other additives, but research has showed me that water may actually be better for cooling, and that I shouldn't have to worry about a boil over as long as the system is pressurized, but I haven't found any hard info on this.

Do you guys think I will be ok to run just water for a couple days so I can get to work, while I am still working on getting the cooling system nice and cleaned out?

Why are you putting simple green inside your engine? BAD bad idea. There isn't a professional mechanic or shop in the world that would do any of what you are doing. Drain out the water and simple green and put in a 50-50 or 60-40 mix of coolant and distilled water or even just regular water. No need to do all of this elaborate flushing.

Running straight water wont hurt a thing. I do it when I flush a cooling system to let things circulate.

From the Simple Green web page: Is Simple Green safe for aluminum?

>>>Caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes......Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.<<<<<<

Water has significant surface tension which, in some circumstances, create metallurgically abrasive micro-boiling. Certain operators of Ford Powerstroke engines were found to have induced severe casting damage by running straight water, as opposed to the manufacturer specified coolant mixture. Warranties were hence denied for non-compliance with the maintenance manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You'll probably be OK. But what's your commute like? How far?

About 20-30 minutes interstate driving. 70-75 mph

To the mentions of worries of me using Simple Green HD my understanding is that ford uses this to flush their engines, at least this is what I read. Also please note I am using Simple Green HD which is supposed to be safe for ALL metals. not normal simple green.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
You don't need this elaborate flushing. It serves no purpose.
I had to get the oil out of the system, I wouldn't be doing it for fun, haha!

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Are you asking advice or telling us what you intend to do?

Asking advice on if it is ok to run water in my cooling system for a day or two, the other info was just there so you had an idea of what was going on, so you had the full picture.

Just use a pre packaged flush with hose adaptor and then refill. A little oil left won't hurt anything but a full drain and and flush with a hose is more than enough to clean out the system. Don't worry about trace residual amounts. There is not a professional mechanic or shop in the whole world would do what your doing. My shop has done literally hundreds if not into the thousands of head gaskets in the last 20 years--including diesle engines...and a quick drain and flush with the hose is all they get. Every other shop is the same.

Your not only wasting your time your risking damage to your engine in the process. Don't over think and don't over complicate a really simple matter.

Last edited:
From the Simple Green web page: Is Simple Green safe for aluminum?

>>>Caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes......Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

I believe is different with distilled water that has no minerals

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
30 mins of highway driving on straight water? no way, it will boil for sure.

As long as its under a pressure cap, it would be okay to 240-250F depending on pressure.
Do you have a scangauge or similar? If I was doing so I would keep a strict eye on water temperature, but if you vehicle has no problem cooling with coolant, the water won't run hotter or anything.

There is no place inside an engine for simple green period and no reason to go to so much effort just because a head gasket was replaced. No one in the "real world" of automotive or engine repair goes to this extreme.

when i was younger i recall my dad with bad ears used to run straight water in our mazda minivan and I clearly remember pulling into the driveway after a 20 min ride, turning off the car and then listening to the water boiling in the overflow tank...

Last edited:
Just use a pre packaged flush with hose adaptor and then refill. A little oil left won't hurt anything but a full drain and and flush with a hose is more than enough to clean out the system. Don't worry about trace residual amounts. There is not a professional mechanic or shop in the whole world would do what your doing. My shop has done literally hundreds if not into the thousands of head gaskets in the last 20 years--including diesle engines...and a quick drain and flush with the hose is all they get. Every other shop is the same.

Your not only wasting your time your risking damage to your engine in the process. Don't over think and don't over complicate a really simple matter.

Thanks! Well I have just did a distiller after flush, I will go ahead and put my coolant and distiller water in on my next fill, since I have flushed it about 5-6 times trying to get the residule oil out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back