Tesla Model 3 Picture - BMW I3 vs Tesla Model X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this picture is official from Tesla. It looks like 8/10 scale of Model S. The exterior styling is a little conservative, but it looks clean and doesn't stand out like other EV Cars.

Tesla-Model-3.jpg

BMW I3 vs Tesla Model X exterior styling. Of the 2 EV SUV's which do you prefer to own ? BMW I3 costs in the low $40k and room for 4 person, cost of Model X is unknown at this time but it has room for 7.

Performance of I3 is 7 sec 0-60 MPH and range of 80-100 miles. Model X can accelerate to 60 MPH in 3.1 sec(faster than many sport/high-performance cars) and range is slightly less than Model S with the same battery options of 70 kW and 85 kW, should be around 200 miles for smaller battery and 250 miles for larger battery.

Of the two choices who would buy BMW I3 ? Other than well known and respected brand what categories I3 offers that are better than Model X ?

2014_bmw_i3_4dr-hatchback_base_s_oem_6_600.jpg

Tesla-Model-X-CES-2015.jpg

Tesla has a great way of making their cars look like normal but very handsome upmarket cars, whilst everyone else is making hideous electric cars.
The i3 looks like a Transformers genitalia

Tesla owns the electric vehicle market. Remember the Leaf? Who does and who cares at this point.

Frankly it is idiotic to have a 3.1s 0-60 EV car that isn't some fancy high end sports car. The discharge rates that are put on the battery are hard on it (kill life), and they would be better suited downrating the motors and improving range while still keeping a reasonable acceleration time (heck, 7s is fast, 4-6s would be just fine).

But it is a handsome car, and they're doing a good job with them, IMO.

Styling means exactly nothing to me when it comes to buying decisions. I'll buy (or not) based on how the car works.

99.99% chance the Model 3 will make the BMW i3 irrelevant. The i3's only advantage will be its small footprint -- great for absolutely packed urban environments (e.g. big Asian urban centers), and that's about it. The Model 3 will win in every other category. That's my bet.

I wish the Model X didn't exist.

You guys are confusing the heck out of me. Some people are calling it Model 3 and others are calling Model X and then there is Model i3 which is a BMW and then there is X1 or X3 which too are BMW.

You guys are all over the map and a simpleton village idiot like myself is completely lost :)

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Frankly it is idiotic to have a 3.1s 0-60 EV car that isn't some fancy high end sports car. The discharge rates that are put on the battery are hard on it (kill life), and they would be better suited downrating the motors and improving range while still keeping a reasonable acceleration time (heck, 7s is fast, 4-6s would be just fine).

But you don't have to do max acceleration all the time, it's just there for fun. If you stay off of the go pedal i.e. use a light foot wouldn't it be the same as a down rated engine and save battery life?

First one looks too much like a Suzuki, the last one looks like an inflated Focus, I like Foci, but not inflated ones.

I'd buy the i3.

I see many Leaf (Leaves?) on the road, many more than any other EV, but I do occasionally see an i3 or Tesla. I've yet to see an eGolf or the Mercedes.

Denver does have quite a few Tesla...

I would be rather surprised if all the EV's don't get running changes as batteries improve.

I've ridden in a Tesla & driven a Leaf. Both really impressive in different ways. What I really liked was that the cars were silent--it's amazing how much better the experience is with a complete lack of noise.

I have a bias against BMW (and I own one!) because EVERY German car I've ever known for the past 40 years--mine & my friends'--have had some sort of idiotic electrical problem. My current favorite is my clock forgets what time it is when the "intelligent charger" decides the battery is weak. [censored]?

Anyway, if I had to buy electric I'd go with Tesla. They seem to be doing it the best at the moment. The smart thing to do might be to lease since EV technology seems to be advancing rapidly, so resale value of older models could be terrible.

The i3 can be purchased with a range extender. IJS.

Btw the i3 isn't a SUV. It's an urban commuter car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Tesla owns the electric vehicle market. Remember the Leaf? Who does and who cares at this point.

The Leaf is the #1 EV in the US. [censored], They're all over the place in Metro Atlanta and we have the highest or second highest number of EV sales outside California.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Ya, Elon Musk is a real idiot.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You guys are confusing the heck out of me. Some people are calling it Model 3 and others are calling Model X and then there is Model i3 which is a BMW and then there is X1 or X3 which too are BMW.

You guys are all over the map and a simpleton village idiot like myself is completely lost :)

Tesla Model X = All-electric full-size crossover w/ 3 rows of seats, based on the Model S sedan. Soon to be released.

Tesla Model 3 = All-electric sedan, smaller than the Model S, roughly the size of a BMW 3-Series. Slated for 2017.

BMW i3 = All-electric city commuter car. Already on the market.

BMW X1 = Non-electric compact crossover based on the last-generation 3-Series.

BMW X3 = Non-electric mid-size crossover.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
huh? did you just include the picture of a BMW there?

No, it is Tesla Model X side view, to let simple_gifts decides if it is a hatchback or not.

The rear styling makes it a hatchback if it is a sedan, but it is a crossover with a slop rear so it is not really a hatchback.

With this design the cargo capacity is down a little, but it may get better air flow .

The quick acceleration of 3.1" to 60 MPH is because it has 2 electric motors to drive front and rear wheels, when you press the accelerator 20-30% it accelerates at much slower pace. Just like any car with automatic transmission, you get maximum acceleration with WOT and slower with part throttle.

Since I don't think I will ever own a minivan or an SUV, Model x didn't interest me. I just like to point out that an American auto company(a newer one) can do a much better job in designing + manufacturing an pure EV car than the best of the world.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
The i3 can be purchased with a range extender. IJS.

Btw the i3 isn't a SUV. It's an urban commuter car.

What is the range extender in BMW i3 ? A gasoline engine to recharge the battery to extend the range by about 50-60 miles ?

If you use gasoline for anything then it is not a pure EV anymore. An EV should be a vehicle that never stop at a gas station to fill up its gas tank.

Whatever an i3 is, a SUV or a very tall urban commuter vehicle, it is sure look unusual and many(me included) think it is ugly looking vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back