OKRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and do any of you folks here grow okra? Thought about trying to grow some, as I like it a variety of ways. Thanks for any recipes, advice and replies in advance.

okra sliced thin with buttermilk and yellow cornmeal fried in a cast iron skillet with salt and a bit of pepper.

I think it's good for you also. Maybe sauté in a little oliver oil as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
okra sliced thin with buttermilk and yellow cornmeal fried in a cast iron skillet with salt and a bit of pepper.

That's my favorite way to eat Okra. Pickled Okra is great also.

I've bought it fresh 3-4 times (this is Australia)
Another half do,men times canned...a bit icky but in a gumbo works well.

A local Indian ingredient shop has it occasionally frozen...the Indians like it.

Its good stuff

My favorite Okra dish:

Burnt Okra with Sauteed Potatoes and Basil

• 2 cups okra, sliced into 3/8 inch slices tops discarded
• 2 cups russet potatoes, small dice (cut the potatoes just before sautéing them so they don’t turn gray. You want the starch on the potatoes so don’t cut them early and soak them in water)
• 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon basil, minced
• Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan plus a little extra. Add the okra in one layer. Season the okra with salt and pepper.
2. Once one side of the okra is deep brown add the potatoes and toss them with the okra. If the pan looks dry add a little more oil. The okra and potatoes will soak up some of the oil. Again season with salt and pepper.
3. Keep and eye on the potatoes and keep turning them with the okra to keep them from sticking. Adjust the heat as necessary to help the potatoes cook through with out burning.
4. Once the potatoes have browned and are tender add the garlic. Toss everything to mix and once you smell the garlic add the basil and toss again. Taste for seasoning and adjust it as you need to. Platter the okra and potatoes up and serve immediately.

take care.

I like it as a stew, here is a recipe:

1 lb okra, fresh or frozen
1 cup tomato, diced/crushed
1 onion, sliced in strips
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup hot water
1 tsp salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp sugar
Black pepper

In a pot, sauté onions with olive oil over medium heat. Stir in tomato and sauté for 2 minutes. Then, add okra and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until okra changes color. Stir in hot water and bring to a boil. Add salt, sugar and lemon juice.
Close the lid and cook over low heat until the okra gets soft (about 15-20 minutes). Do not over cook, otherwise okra will come apart.
Sprinkle black pepper on top and serve Okra Stew with Olive Oil warm or cool.
original-d268e292124893b14583d03bde8e02f9.jpg

My dad grew okra, lots and lots of okra. We had fried okra, pickled okra, just too much okra.

Only real tip I can give you about growing okra is pick it small, and pick it often. 2-2.5" is big enough. Any larger and it gets tough. Most okra people buy in the store is big and tough, almost inedible.

I've grown okra here with mixed results.
This is a tall growing plant that has nice flowers.
I grew the plants from seed and had relatively poor yields, maybe because our growing season is too short for this tropical plant.
We like okra cooked in a frying pan with onions, tomatoes and chicken. and seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano or basil.
Fried okra is also very good.

My wife grows it and yes it is more tender when the pods are small, 3 inches or so. Cut off the stem, slice it and drizzle it through some buttermilk, then hot sauce, and then roll it through some cornmeal, I like the 'Texas Pete' brand of hot sauce, then deepfry for a about 5 minutes or until golden brown. My wife calls them hot poppers and they are delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back