Is Delo 400 LE 5W30 a good oil for every engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of folks recommending the T5 10w30 synthetic blend.

I have never used a "blend" oil before. Always kind of seemed like a gimmick to me. Either use synthetic or not. Maybe I was wrong and it is good?

Originally Posted By: Bdog
Lots of folks recommending the T5 10w30 synthetic blend.

I have never used a "blend" oil before. Always kind of seemed like a gimmick to me. Either use synthetic or not. Maybe I was wrong and it is good?

I have read that there is some benefit to how well the additives work in a blend. I don't know, but I had excellent results with Delo XLE 10W30 which is also a blend.

There must be a reason for mobil, shell and chevron offering these blends. They all have good reputations overall.

I think they add a "synthetic" base stock to get the cold
performance where they need it instead of using VIIs.
The term "semi-synthetic" must be incorrect.

Pick the cheapest dual rated HDEO 10W-30 and use it in everything. Forget what some of these Chicken Little, sky is falling types are saying.

You should also be looking at pails or drums not gallons. Buy from a distributer. Open an account with them.

I've been servicing equipment in the field for the construction industry as a second career for 13 years now. EVERYBODY, and I mean EVERYBODY, consolidates their oil. In SoCal where I cut my teeth, it was SAE 30/40 in everything, including hydraulic systems and Power Strokes. Here in snow-covered Michigan with the temperature in the teens, it's 15W-40 in everything, including gen sets, welders, pumps. A few cold crank issues aside, it works, so who am I to say anything? They do what every other owner does, buy based on price.

We got an F-150 right now that I know for FACT has PYB 5W and 10W-30, Wolf's Head 10W-30, bulk 15W-40, and MC 5W-20 (I put that in because 5W-20 is recommended). That truck is the red-head step child. Gets beat on, overloaded, and idles for hours and hours. Has 185k (2002) and runs like a champ.

I got I good idea what your equipment looks like and how it's being used. Any quality 10W-30 (dual rated HDEO of course) and you will be fine. Better yet would be Delo's new 15W-30.

The Delo LE 5w-30, like the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, are low on phosphorous because of the ACEA E6 specification, not because of the API SN specification. These oils are API CJ-4 in the first instance, with the gasoline spec second. E6 has the lower phosphorous limit. Given the builder approvals on both these products, I wouldn't worry too much about them being inferior to much else in their respective lineups.

Aside from warranty concerns and the higher HTHS causing a slight, unnoticeable downgrade in fuel economy, I wouldn't object to using such a product in a gasoline engine. For the diesel applications, check the builder approvals.

Note that the McLaren F1 team uses an oil with similar specifications and approval, Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, in their transport fleet.

Interesting that the Delo 10w30 40 xle has about 30% more zinc, sulfur, phosphorus content that the Delo 400 LE 5w30. So does this mean that the XLE 10w30 will provide a greater level of protection,theoretically in a long period vs the 5w30 Delo with less zinc, phosphorus and sulfur? But with a pour point of -60F, the Delo 5w30 must be using a very high quality synthetic base stock I presume? I use the 400 LE 5w30 and will be doing an UOA at 5k miles, currently have 4100 miles on the oil with Archoil AR9100. I've seen the Delo 10w30 XLE at a Round Rock, TX Walmart yesterday for $14.76/gallon. That's $13 cheaper a gallon than the 5w30 Delo I paid on Amazon.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=393994&docFormat=PDF
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=384346&docFormat=PDF

Not necessarily. The 5w-30 is synthetic, and I'm not sure what base stock they use. They have said Group III for their 5w-40 stuff, but that means nothing about the 5w-30 stuff.

The 5w-30 stuff is likely using different additives that don't show up in regular UOAs. Additionally, it seeks a few different builder approvals, much like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30.

The 5W30 LE is an ACEA E6 oil and therefore mandated to have 800ppm P or less and 3000ppm S or less. The 10W30 XLE blend is a standard CJ4 i.e. ACEA E9 oil and less stringent limits. Hopefully the 5w30 LE has a better base oil (which makes what additives there are work better, allegedly) and some nonmetallic/lower sulfur additives.
I'm using an E6 oil (Delvac 1 5W30 LE) in my BMW X5 35d; in that application it is actually higher SAPS than the Castrol OE Professional 5W30 it replaces.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back