Clean cat additives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to oreilly auto part to buy an fuel filter for my foxbody notchback, I saw they having bottle of cleaning system, claim to clean out o2 sensor, cat, unclog cat...... any one ever use these ? or its more like snake oil type....

I think price was $23 in a silver bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I went to oreilly auto part to buy an fuel filter for my foxbody notchback, I saw they having bottle of cleaning system, claim to clean out o2 sensor, cat, unclog cat...... any one ever use these ? or its more like snake oil type....

I think price was $23 in a silver bottle.

Did they also have one for $35 in a gold bottle? If so that is the one I would get. Unless they had one in a titanium bottle for $50.

A clogged cat happens when the metallic substrate melts and blocks the flow of gases. So think melted platinum. No liquid additive is going to reverse that.

Spend the money instead on a new part.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
A clogged cat happens when the metallic substrate melts and blocks the flow of gases. So think melted platinum. No liquid additive is going to reverse that.

Spend the money instead on a new part.

You had it right with the substrate. It's not the platinum (or any other noble metal) that is melting.

Lol Donald. I think I've seen it at aap & az called Cata-clean or something similar $20+, I agree probably a wallet drainer, try it if need to scratch that itch n report results in here.

Almost all cars will light up CEL when catalytic converter efficiency drops below 90% or something like that.

If you have started getting P0420 once in a while, then you are on the borderline. In that case, you could use these snake oils in the bottle remedies to get the efficiency back up over 90%.

If P0420 lights up almost immediately upon reset (within few days or less) then you have no hope of fixing it via chemical method. You will need new catalytic converter.

This is why you get such strong pro and con reviews for this on the web.

Everything in the world can be explained with science but most of us prefer religion and blind faith over science :)

Cataclean contains the same ingredients as a number of fuel system cleaners.I guess the whole idea behind it is that it burns so hot that it removes the carbon that has fouled the 02 sensors and Cat Con.The trick is,they want you to dump a whole bottle in when you only have a couple gallons left,drive the heck out of it,and then fill up.Many people have claimed that it works...temporarily.Enough to get thru inspection.CRCs Guaranteed to Pass claimed to lower emissions to get you thru inspection too.Cataclean started out in England and came over here years later.The bottles here now sport "Mr Gasket" as the brand name.I'm sure its a great profit builder at $23-30 a bottle.Sorta sounds like a good down payment on a new cat con or 02 sensor...

I used Cataclean, and it did little or nothing. My best luck with a dying cat was to have a professional fuel system cleaning performed. That did keep the CE light off for a while. But it did return and gradually went back to coding every few hundred miles after reset. I never had a problem getting NYSI...

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Everything in the world can be explained with science but most of us prefer religion and blind faith over science :)

So true....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Lol Donald. I think I've seen it at aap & az called Cata-clean or something similar $20+, I agree probably a wallet drainer, try it if need to scratch that itch n report results in here.

not that I having problem with my cat on my new vehicles, its just ridiculous these snake oil company came up with lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back