Briggs & Stratton 10w30, 5hrs, 13' Gravely ZT34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make/Model: Briggs & Stratton 500cc 16.5HP
Vehicle: 2013 Gravely ZT34

Factory fill, dumped at 5hrs as recommended in owners manual. New fill is Amsoil ASE 10w30 with Wix filter.

Blackstone comments:
Aluminum and silicon are a bit elevated to compared to averages, but these things are probably just from initial wear-in, and you should see improvements from here. Aluminum was just barely high enough to mark -- another ppm lower or so and we probably would have mentioned it but not marked it. Others metals are somewhat elevated, but not terrible compared to averages, which are based on about 55hrs on the oil. We'll look for overall improvements next time, even if you go out to 20hrs on the oil or so. The viscosity was light, but that's fine.

Code:

OIL B&S 10w30

HOURS IN USE 5

HOURS ON UNIT 5

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/16/14

MAKE UP OIL 0

ALUMINUM 18

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 26

COPPER 21

LEAD 8

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 65

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 4

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 1

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 278

SILICON 32

SODIUM 6

CALCIUM 1603

MAGNESIUM 290

PHOSPHORUS 812

ZINC 898

BARIUM 1

SUS @ 210F 56.6

Visc @ 100C 9.23

Flashpoint 430

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN

What made you choose amsoil 4 stroke 10w 30 oil?

Originally Posted By: dhellman12
Make/Model: Briggs & Stratton 500cc 16.5HP
Vehicle: 2013 Gravely ZT34

Factory fill, dumped at 5hrs as recommended in owners manual. New fill is Amsoil ASE 10w30 with Wix filter.

Blackstone comments:
Aluminum and silicon are a bit elevated to compared to averages, but these things are probably just from initial wear-in, and you should see improvements from here. Aluminum was just barely high enough to mark -- another ppm lower or so and we probably would have mentioned it but not marked it. Others metals are somewhat elevated, but not terrible compared to averages, which are based on about 55hrs on the oil. We'll look for overall improvements next time, even if you go out to 20hrs on the oil or so. The viscosity was light, but that's fine.

Code:

OIL B&S 10w30

HOURS IN USE 5

HOURS ON UNIT 5

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/16/14

MAKE UP OIL 0

ALUMINUM 18

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 26

COPPER 21

LEAD 8

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 65

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 4

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 1

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 278

SILICON 32

SODIUM 6

CALCIUM 1603

MAGNESIUM 290

PHOSPHORUS 812

ZINC 898

BARIUM 1

SUS @ 210F 56.6

Visc @ 100C 9.23

Flashpoint 430

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN

Why is that?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That's one lucky engine, Amsoil ASE 10w30 is probably the best thing you can possibly pour into an air cooled engine!

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Why is that?

That's one lucky engine, Amsoil ASE 10w30 is probably the best thing you can possibly pour into an air cooled engine!

Tons of additives, API SJ ZDDP levels, no viscosity index improvers, which gives it a 4.1% NOACK, excellent shear resistance, it's basically an all around beast for these applications.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Why is that?

Tons of additives, API SJ ZDDP levels, no viscosity index improvers, which gives it a 4.1% NOACK, excellent shear resistance, it's basically an all around beast for these applications.

+1 yes excellent choice for this application if not the best.

It's designed for use in air-cooled small engines, typically found in mowers. Spent too much on this ZT to worry about that Briggs motor laying down. Will do a few samples on the new oil to see how well it's performing.

Originally Posted By: dhellman12
It's designed for use in air-cooled small engines, typically found in mowers. Spent too much on this ZT to worry about that Briggs motor laying down. Will do a few samples on the new oil to see how well it's performing.

Only thing I might change is the Wix to a RP oil filter.

What engine model number tag?

Amsoil oils are an excellent choice. Redline, M1 HM, RP HPS, are some other well dosed oils.

Room for an over sized oil filter?

I just hope that the B&S is a good one.
The NEW zt34 comes with a bigger engine and makes me wonder if there was an issue with the previous engine choices:
ZT 34 915190 Briggs & Stratton® V-Twin 18 HP/656 CC

I wouldn't have wasted the money on an analysis on the break in oil. Do it after a couple of changes, then you have some useful information.

I was wondering the same thing. I do know the new model is now a v-twin, so hopefully it was just to upgrade the line.

Mine is the B&S Intek model 310000, 500cc, 16.5HP. Had I known they were coming out with a V-twin version I probably would have held out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back