fan motor bad? not sure i tested right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tested my 98 corolla fans today. The reason, after 30+ minutes of driving, temp goes up, but goes back too normal when i turn fans on, and noticbly, heat. temp climbs when i have iton cold. so got leads, undid fan connectors, looking at engine, one wire on positive, other on negative, connected too fan connector. left one didnt work..right one did.
tested the ECT switch, without ignition on, one blavk aligator clip lead, no fans turned on. fuses are good, but didnt test the relays yet.
i had too connect too black leads, alligator clips, holding eachother, to make length too battery post, but noted the ends glowed until i disconected. didnt think that was good, normal.
Its apparent so far, it appears a fan motor is burned out. should i replace both motors? or just the bad one? im thinking the other is on its way out.

yes so far i did notice both fans on,after 20 minutes of idle..and they do turn on when a/c is on. visualy tested it. waited 20 minutes and fans came on. the motors in fan a\do have rusty edges...dont look brand new. sodid thelead tests, and its the left fan, looking st engine front of car, that failed too operate with 2 alligator clipped leads to negative battery post. [censored] wire got hotfast, bhoth leads glowed orange where the wire meets theclip///
but using one lead, rightfan, at connector to fan, it operated, touching the battery posts.

I think you had a short where you tried to connect to the fan. the fan wouldn't turn but the leads would get hot and the ends could glow.

Go ahead and check the relays. I find many problems with relays on older cars. Open them up and check for burned contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back