TCC solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the olds had the torque converter stay locked up as i came to a stop today. Choked the engine off, after restart it was still locked. shifted to neutal at each stop, taking back off was tough. Finally it was free and on the way back home no further lockup. I know that one this starts it only gets worse.
So other than dropping the pan and changing fluid and filter , i have no trans repair experience.
How hard is it to change the solenoild out? i know the side cover must be removed. Do i do this from the fender well or from up top?
The engine is the 3300 (3.3) and trans is a th125c.

rock auto has the delco part for $32 plus shipping.

You can always just unplug it, if you don't do a lot of highway driving you'll never notice a difference.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You can always just unplug it, if you don't do a lot of highway driving you'll never notice a difference.

I thought about that but i do about 12 miles to work each way and about 6-7 are in top gear at 60-65. I was afraid i'd kill the fuel mileage.

I'd like to know i if i can replace it myself.

Last edited:
Blue plug in front of the trans. Common failure. TCC needs replaced.

Gas mileage won't be a huge hit but without lockup the trans will be much hotter.

You do not know if it is the solenoid, dirt in a passage or bad converter.

The part is cheap, replacing it is moderate difficulty.

You can buy a 1 year one car alldata subscription for under 30. Should be in there, you can ask them.

Normally unplug is best, you probably will not notice the change in mileage.

Rod

A 3 speed TH125C in a 93 Ciera 3.3? Those cheapos at GM should have went to the 440T4 in a V6 by then... The 125c was very common to TCC solenoid failure.Back when J body Cavaliers were still alive,it was something that afflicted all of them with a/t.Its a pretty easy replacement from what I hear.

You may be able to find a "correct" ohm reading and check yours from outside. Though it is typically the solenoid on that car.

I had that exact combo in my 92 ciera, they didn't put the 3t40 in station wagons behind the V6 but they did in sedans. I found an RPO code that indicated it started life in a rental fleet-- typical, hey, this car has some pep!
wink.gif

You would probably have to be comfortable busting apart your strut and steering knuckle and stuff to get at the side cover better, but I don't see the car in front of me. There must be a youtube video.

I've done valve bodies and solenoids and the worst part is getting the "outside" fasteners off. Once inside, everything isn't rusty and it's all lubed with tranny fluid, so it goes pretty slick. And since this is a "side job" not an "under job" you won't have dexron dripping in your face.
wink.gif

Thanks eljefino, I'm completely comfortable with strut disassembly. I'm hoping i can get to it from that aspect. I don't want to have to drop the tranny to access it.
The car has only 69k and its my drive to work car. Lots of life left in it as a commuter car. I don't want to heat up the trans by unplugging it.

thanks

You are lucky it is a T125/3T40. The 440T/4T60 cannot have the transmission side cover removed with the powertrain in place/cradle not lowered. I've got a '92 Century Special with a 3300 V6 and 4T60, only other option is cruise.

Speaking of 'pep' I am still shocked at how this 3300 runs after replacing the failing high mileage injectors with a matched low mileage set. I expected it to be rather anemic like other Buick V6s that weren't 3.8 liters.

Incidentally, the 'quirky' 4T60 works so much better on Valvoline Dexron VI (from the AZ $1 sale) it is shocking. The temperature stability seems to be the difference, IMHO.

Last edited:
If one was pressed for time to do the repair could always add a toggle switch to the circuit to have the lockup and lower temp when cruising but turn off to prevent stall when stopping.

Originally Posted By: CorvairGeek

Speaking of 'pep' I am still shocked at how this 3300 runs after replacing the failing high mileage injectors with a matched low mileage set. I expected it to be rather anemic like other Buick V6s that weren't 3.8 liters.

Mine runs pretty good. i actually put smaller diameter tires as that helps the around town fuel mileage( converter locks up sooner) and it roars to 0-70 much quicker.

Looked at it today, seems i should (have room) be able to get the side cover off, i ordered a solenoid for $31.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Incidentally, the 'quirky' 4T60 works so much better on Valvoline Dexron VI (from the AZ $1 sale) it is shocking. The temperature stability seems to be the difference, IMHO.

You should put a "red stripe" modulator ($10) on there. Heck, everyone should.
wink.gif
Then you can stick a little screwdriver in there and get the shift firmness how you like it. I rescued a ciera where the modulator broke, in "perpetual mush" mode.

Shift timing is still via TV cable. It's weird.

When looking at parts on rock auto, they have parts for a manual transmission ciera. I have never seen or heard of one.

Thanks, normally i agree and don't just throw parts at a problem but.
Its such a common problem in this transmission that i'm just going to replace it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You should put a "red stripe" modulator ($10) on there. Heck, everyone should.
wink.gif
Then you can stick a little screwdriver in there and get the shift firmness how you like it. I rescued a ciera where the modulator broke, in "perpetual mush" mode.

Shift timing is still via TV cable. It's weird.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm so shocked at how clean this transmission stays, especially compared to our 4T60E which has always had copious amounts of clutch material in the pan since it was new.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
When looking at parts on rock auto, they have parts for a manual transmission ciera. I have never seen or heard of one.

fueleconomy.gov shows them in the early 80s. I wonder also if they held on longer in mexico; RA shows stuff that pertains to there.

On A-body.net someone modded a Century into a 4.3 diesel/ 5 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back