My car has 15 year old tranny fluid with 150k mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car has 11 year old tranny fluid with 270k miles and still runs great. Welcome to the club!

Well, my lady had a Pontiac Sunfire that went 214,500 miles and never had transmission fluid changed. It always did great and had zero issues and we sold it with that mileage still doing fine. My Nissan Sentra was a 95. I got it when it already had 118,000 miles. I drove it to 242,000 miles, changed the motor oil every 4k miles with Castrol Syntec. I never changed the transmission fluyd. Guess what gave out in the Wendy's drive thru ?? The motor. A friend of mine had his own junkyard. I gave it too him because three different places I took it said it was done. I bet the timing chain broke. Which my friend said was the case. He put a motor he had in the yard on it and it was good to go.

So, I maintained the motor very very well. Never changed the transmission fluid. And the motor went out. So, my experience has been that the transmission fluid in cars is really not all that big a deal. Sorry but just the case with ALL of my cars I have ever had. Ones prior to the two mentioned has well. My opinion is that the transmission is a sealed case not exposed to contaminants like motor oil so it is not necessary to change it very often. Heat is certainly a factor. But with these newer cars using synthetics I would think that would mitigate any troubles there with most cars or trucks. If you decide to change it.. I would change only about half of it. All new fluid may well lead to slipping if 100% new fluid is put in. And DO not flush transmission. This will definitely lead to failure.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Change it out. This isn't Bob is the Do Nothing Guy.

Ha!!!!!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
This isn't Bob is the Do Nothing Guy.

though bobisthedonothingguy.com is available...

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What car?

And what is the terrain like?

I would like to see someone get that kind of life, without a fluid change, driving the hills of Pittsburgh or some place similar.

One of my track friends runs a tranny shop. All they do is transmissions.

He told me point blank if a tranny has never had a fluid change prior to 100000 miles then don't do one.
He says that's most of his business. People do trans flushes on high mile trannies that have never had fluid changes and the new fluid cleans up deposits which then clog the various veins and kill the tranny.

I'm not a tranny guy,im just regurgitating his opinion.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
One of my track friends runs a tranny shop. All they do is transmissions.

He told me point blank if a tranny has never had a fluid change prior to 100000 miles then don't do one.
He says that's most of his business. People do trans flushes on high mile trannies that have never had fluid changes and the new fluid cleans up deposits which then clog the various veins and kill the tranny.

I'm not a tranny guy,im just regurgitating his opinion.

On cars that do not carry a lifetime fill recommendation, the first scheduled service interval is usually after 100k. What does your friend think about that?

Generally how power vehicles that have an easy life because they are not asked to tow and haul and that sort of thing can last with trans service from my experience. Look at Honda. when there high power cars not the nsx had 200 hp and to torque they basically never had trans issues. But rim they got bigger motor and heavy vehicles some of there models have some know issues.

Also I have seen it happen. High mile. Car gets service. My has an issue that it didn't before

A friend of mine who runs his own shop said if you want an older car to not run anymore than get the transmission flushed and it will be killed in no time. Flushing it pushes particulates up into the transmission and does clog up internal passages or fowls up gears and its done.

The Critic guy speaks true. Either do it the old fashioned way every 80 to 100k, or don't. And never EVER get a full tranny flush unless you do it every 30 to 50k.

Never seen gears get fouled up with a fluid change.
The transmission has a filter. Anything that could be an issue will get caught by it. It it gets by the filter, it won't get caught up in the pump or any passages.
A fluid change removes particulates from the transmission. There is no reservoir of garbage sitting around in your transmission waiting for new fluid.

If you get a fluid change, make sure the filter is changed. If there are pan magnets, clean or replace them.

Obviously, too many here have never rebuilt a transmission. Too many believe the internet hearsay, and whatever some clown told them.

New ATF is NOT an excuse to drive with the pedal to the floor. Those quick/smooth shifts are intoxicating and usually the superman at the wheel smokes his newly fluid'd old transmission.

New fluid will NOT rebuild an old transmission. It does not allow the transmission to go back in time and feel young again.

Too many people who had their transmissions flushed and the car was an older car and poof.. Its junk. That's not internet hearsay. Also having someone at a jiffy lube putting in wrong fluid jacks them up too.. Aka Nissan having their own CVT fluid. Use regular ATF and its toast. I read about the potential harm from flushing transmissions over 12 years ago. I've also read on the NICO site that people who did this foolishness with their cars had trouble. Big time. Why?? Hellooo.
. this is not a coinky dink. Too much of a correlation to not be a direct relationship between flushing an older car transmission and big issues very shortly after..
Drain and refill at most.

You don't give it a full flush and change, you just gradually replace the fluid like I am doing in mine.
Mine had the factory fill in at 180,000km which was BLACK and still has most of it in, every year or so I replace 5L of the systems 12L capacity. I've done it twice so far and each time it works much better, no more chirping 3rd gear anymore or failing to engage at high revs. The fluid still came out black this last time but I'll just carry on doing this every year with a fresh filter and pan gasket and it should keep things clean and running smooth

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Too many people who had their transmissions flushed and the car was an older car and poof.. Its junk. That's not internet hearsay. Also having someone at a jiffy lube putting in wrong fluid jacks them up too.. Aka Nissan having their own CVT fluid. Use regular ATF and its toast. I read about the potential harm from flushing transmissions over 12 years ago. I've also read on the NICO site that people who did this foolishness with their cars had trouble. Big time. Why?? Hellooo.
. this is not a coinky dink. Too much of a correlation to not be a direct relationship between flushing an older car transmission and big issues very shortly after..
Drain and refill at most.

Folks seem to get the 2 confused too. Or feel they HAVE to take it somewhere for a flush as opposed to heading to Walmart and getting a few gallons and just do a cooler line "flush" or pain drop and refill.

Originally Posted By: panther427
Generally how power vehicles that have an easy life because they are not asked to tow and haul and that sort of thing can last with trans service from my experience. Look at Honda. when there high power cars not the nsx had 200 hp and to torque they basically never had trans issues. But rim they got bigger motor and heavy vehicles some of there models have some know issues.

Also I have seen it happen. High mile. Car gets service. My has an issue that it didn't before

Don't know about that.
Plenty of 150 bhp 3000 pound Accords that never towed anything ate their automatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back