why use synthetic when Dino is so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to understand the benefits. My focus seems to use a small amount of Mobil 1 ep. Where it never used any Dino oil but besides that if an engine can go 300k + on Dino oil changed between 5,000-10,000 what makes synthetic any better? Ford says 10,000 intervals are acceptable on any oil meeting gf5 so in stating that what makes synthetic better for the average people? I understand it used to be able to go longer and last longer but is that really true anymore? And if it is can it go enough longer to justify the costs? Just me pondering things. As always pictures of engines and how clean or dirty they are is always cool.

Why use dino when synthetic (& synblends) can be as cheap or cheaper? Such as the famous O'Reilly 3 quarts of NextGen for $1 after coupon, or the WM 10W30 MaxLife syn for $16.87-$20 rebate!

Conventional is still good but the synthetic will still last longer in service if you were comparing the same application, driving habits, climate with TBN tests. Also all synthetics aren't created equal.

My 04 has had a diet of synthetic at 8-10k intervals. My 03 had dealer bulk Dino at 5-6k for all of its first 220,000. Only difference I can tell is varnish when I take a peak down the oil fill hole. The 04 on the other hand is clean and shiny.

Not sure if that means a darn thing.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Many bitogers are oil snobs.

fixed it for you.

Thats a pretty negative attitude about the board you subscribe to.
If someone spends a bit more on a favorite oil, they are a snob?

I use both, dino in the older saturn and sometimes the olds. Syn in the elantra and lower mileage saturn.
Dino hdeo in the cycle.

Last edited:
Well, for me it's price. The oil I get is always sub $3 a quart. I have a bunch of QSUD that I got for $1 a quart, some Pennzoil Platinum that I got for $2.50 a quart, and some Super S that I got for $1.20 a quart. So for me the cost between the two doesn't matter as I buy only when the price is right.

What I use it in is a different story. The Monte gets conventional usually. Why? Because it gets driven far enough every day to reach operating temperature, it leaks/uses so why waste the "better" oil, and lastly it has an OLM that is designed for conventional oil so I know I'm getting the best bang for my buck.

The Ram gets synthetic. I drive 5.5 miles each way to work Mon-Fri so the oil never reaches operating temperature unless I decide to take it elsewhere, with winter temps reaching -15*F I'd like to have an oil as thin as possible for that drive so I don't take even more of a MPG hit, and lastly since I don't have an OLM it gives me an intangible level of comfort to run 6 month OCIs. Ultimately, if my drive wasn't so short I would have no problem running conventional in the Ram.

Last edited:
Dino may be good.

But it's not good enough to meet the minimum specifications in some cars.

So, those cars should get oil that meets requirements.

My stash of synthetic that I bought for $1/QT is almost gone...and I'll use it in the cars for which it meets (or exceeds) requirements. Perhaps when it's all gone, and I have to buy oil at, gasp, regular prices...then I'll buy for the Toyotas in my signature..

18.gif

18.gif

18.gif

Well I have an easy answer.. It says to in the owners manual.

I prefer syn blends over both dino and synthetics. Best of both worlds really, they dont break down as fast as dino does and they are a lot cheaper that fully synthetics round here.
They will do just as good a job in your average stock engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back