firestone coil rite inflation valve leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using the coil rites for just over 4 years on my Ram. They work great... when they work. The driver side bag holds air quite well year round and the pass side begins to deflate around that -20C mark and around -30 it cant hold air for more than an hour. This spring I took the valve off and re-cut the end of the plastic air hose to ensure it was square. Now the thing leaks all the time. I tried using some white pipe dope but I cant quite get it to seal. I cant cut anymore line as there is not much more to give. As well the line has been exposed to the elements for those 4 years and would not seal anyways. The valve has a one way slip fitting and an O-ring that seals on the outside of the air line.

Any recommendations?

I love having the air bags as they are amazing during heavy tows and easy to deflate for everyday driving.

The (John Guest) fitting O-ring can be replaced-that's the cause of the leak. Not sure where you could find one-I would check any Ride-Rite dealers, I'm sure this is a common problem.

I had this issue on one side when I first installed these on my van. For me, the issue was that the valve was ever so slightly pushed up into the rubber 'bladder' itself, causing a slow leak. I pulled it out and it popped into place, and haven't had an issue since. I have had one puncture from underinflation though.

One last ditch before sourcing a new O ring was using a small amount of silicone sealant. I pulled the O ring out and lightly coated all its surface area and then a small amount on the end of the air line. I let it cure over night and now she holds air great. The stuff wont glue it shut either if I ever have to rip it out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back