Fuel filter and fuel sock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a car has a fuel sock on the fuel pump and a underhood fuel pump, in this case a Camry 5sfe engine, is there any point in changing the underhood filter? my prior Sentra did not have a fuel filter, just the fuel sock on the pump, I am assuming. Is the fuel sock as efficient as the fuel filter?

on a non returnless fuel system, filter sock in the pump assembly, together submerged inside the fuel tank, suffice to get the job done.

No need to replace that filter, for you won't gain anything anyways. (unless you are dealing with a fuel pump replacement issues, then might as well start off with a new sock).

I've replaced a corolla and a sentra fuel sock before (returnless), both had over 200k in the odo. Other than a couple of pieces of large debris trapped on the socks, nothing interesting to see in them and they are still clear (no clogging).

To my understanding: fuel delivery system (from refineries to gas station pump dispenser, etc.) had come a long way during the past decade or so, driven by automobile technologies (returnless fuel pump systems, etc.)...so fuel is essentially much more debris-free nowadays.

(*that is also the reason why I've seen so many local gas stations retrofitting their underground steel tank into poly or fibreglass tanks during the past decade or so, partly due to aging (rusty as the steel tank ages), partly due to newer requirements.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
on a non returnless fuel system, filter sock in the pump assembly, together submerged inside the fuel tank, suffice to get the job done.

No need to replace that filter, for you won't gain anything anyways. (unless you are dealing with a fuel pump replacement issues, then might as well start off with a new sock).

I've replaced a corolla and a sentra fuel sock before (returnless), both had over 200k in the odo. Other than a couple of pieces of large debris trapped on the socks, nothing interesting to see in them and they are still clear (no clogging).

To my understanding: fuel delivery system (from refineries to gas station pump dispenser, etc.) had come a long way during the past decade or so, driven by automobile technologies (returnless fuel pump systems, etc.)...so fuel is essentially much more debris-free nowadays.

(*that is also the reason why I've seen so many local gas stations retrofitting their underground steel tank into poly or fibreglass tanks during the past decade or so, partly due to aging (rusty as the steel tank ages), partly due to newer requirements.
Thanks Quest, my Sentra (2001 1.8L) had nearly 250k miles and its original fuel pump/assembly , on my Camry I am able to see the fuel filter but understand that it's a bit difficult tp remove, I think I'll just leave it alone as it sounds like the pump sock is doing its job.
Q.
wFirefox is junk.

Last edited:
I have one Camry filter with 310,000 on it. Better dealers will tell you off the record that the "quick release" fitting on the filter breaks very easily and they don't like to touch them unless fuel pressure is an issue. The FAA is considering certification of pump gas for some light aviation use.

without an Suplemental Type Certificate? Have they dealt with the issue of ethanol and gaskolators in vintage planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back