Not gonna over-inflate tires any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the frozen north, potholes are hard on expensive alloy wheels with low profile tires, especially when over inflated.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
How can overinflation be hard on the alloy rims?
The TIRE doesn't cushion the shock of hitting a nasty pothole. In fact, it's hard on the entire suspension.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A bit extreme, don't you think?

Useless video if you ask me.

In my 2005 Civic I needed a kidney belt at stock pressure the ever present vibration was insane over inflation fixed the problem and could be driven without the ever present vibration.
Two other owners of the same car said over inflating the tires fixed the vibrations as well. The car drove quite well after that for all three of us.

The only people I know that have had rim damage have been people with under inflated tires.

I think certain vehicles are more sensitive to the correct pressure than others; our fusion is one such vehicle. Granted, it doesn't help that our roads are [censored], but I've found that keeping all four tires at 33 psi (1 psi over placard) gives a nice ride without being squishy. Anything nearing 40 psi and all the panels shake, and the ride is near painful. This is on a new set of Pirelli P7 AS+.

I wonder what kind of compressor is shown in the video ?
I had a cousin who lost an eye while filling a truck tire. The tire blew and he wasn't wearing safety glasses.

Some cars can tolerate overinflation better than others. Our Firebird was awful when the tires were overinflated by Belle Tire to 40psi instead of 30psi. Every time you would hit a bump, the live rear axle would kick out and nearly spin the car out. Brought it down to 30 and it's much better (still not great, but better).

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A bit extreme, don't you think?

Useless video if you ask me.

+1

Its a lawn tire or wheelbarrow tire.

Last edited:
Definitely different per vehicle. My '04 Beetle calls for 34 front psi, I can't really feel a difference at 40 psi. I filled up the '13 Beetle to 36 psi (it calls for 31) and it rode terrible. Back down to 31 it went.

I adjust mine for ride and wear.

Saturn 34 f 32 r
olds 35f 35r

elantra 36f 34r

avalanche 32f 35r when esp when towing.

Last edited:
I use to overinflate 3-5psi looking for a couple extra MPG, but I don't notice it in my vehicles, instead, I just notice a harsher ride. I try to keep it right at 1 PSI over sticker. I feel that it's easier on my suspension too.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I wonder what kind of compressor is shown in the video ?
I had a cousin who lost an eye while filling a truck tire. The tire blew and he wasn't wearing safety glasses.

that is a compressor from a fridge or deep freeze. It pumps the refrigerant at high pressure through the appliance. About 300ish psi they don't last long pumping air cause there is no lubricant in them.

There is the pressure on the door placard,
and there is the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire...

Door placard is for maximum ride comfort,
pressure on the sidewall is for maximum inflation...

My original tires on my Saturn were 35 PSI max, Q rated
and 185/65R15...

Current is H rated 205/60R15, 52 PSI max...
I run 45-47 PSI...

Higher PSI than the door placard, without exceeding max pressure listed on the tire, while it gives a harsher ride, also yields better wear and fuel economy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: faramir9
Tire explodes at 170 psi in this video: http://is.gd/PVHQle

Gonna go out and set 'em all to 32 psi, I think.

Just to be safe and err on the side of caution I will be sure to never go over 160 psi.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Kestas
How can overinflation be hard on the alloy rims?
The TIRE doesn't cushion the shock of hitting a nasty pothole. In fact, it's hard on the entire suspension.

I can understand how overinflation can be hard on the suspension. But if anything, the tire DOES cushion the impact. It should save rims from potholes. Rims get damaged when the tire bottoms out in a pothole. Overinflation helps the tire from bottoming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back