More power

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I visit my wife at college in wyoming, on the way there is one ethanol free gas station, that I always get gas at, I seem to get 2+ mpg and a bit more power. I have about 8 different hand calculations on the mpg difference, and after getting the gas, its nothing but an uphill climb to laramie, wy from somewhere in nebraska, I highly doubt that going uphill will be advantageous mpg and power wise, as there is less air at higher altitudes(1.3 miles above sea level in laramie,wy).

But I personally believe I still don't have enough data points.

Hello, In brief:
Please describe the "100% gas station" you go to in Nebraska.
I ask so I can have another data point in my theory about such stations.
The theory is that 100% gas stations are an odd niche' marketing idea.

I start with the assumption that 100% gas is available at the refinery. The ethanol is simply left out-just like any other additive they have.
My experience (data points) is that each one of these stations is old, has old (nearing the end of their duty cycles) tanks and was available on a short lease only.
Every one on the big list of "100% gas stations" was closed when I got there.
I went out of my way to patronize a string of them between NJ and NC in order to have hundreds of miles of mileage data.

Every darn one was old and closed.

In New Jersey, end of the line stations would go to a "no-name" brand for 4-18 months then either get refitted with new tanks and architecture or torn down to make way for a bank. Kira

Around mid Nebraska the Casey's gas stations seem to all carry non alcohol gas, as well as the regular ethanol. And Caseys seem to be everywhere around here. I am from a town of 20000, and we have 4 of them.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I hear alot how E10 can reduce miles per gallons, but what about E10 vs 100% gasoline on a dyno or quarter-mile track?

Gasoline is always better. The exception is if you have a racing tune and run E85 you can tune more aggressively.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I hear alot how E10 can reduce miles per gallons, but what about E10 vs 100% gasoline on a dyno or quarter-mile track?

Gasoline is always better.
+1

Most actual dyno tests I've heard of show minutely more power with E10 if nothing else is modified. It sort of makes sense. Adding oygenates is an easier way of getting oxygen into the combustion chamber compared to trying to get more air in. An engine is fundamentally an air pump. However, this test may have been skewed by slightly higher octane ratings for the E10, although the fuel supplier claims that it shouldn't be an issue since both the E0 and E10 they used had a high enough octane rating that it wouldn't be an issue. They also tuned for the fuel with bigger jets.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hppp-1109-testing-different-fuel/

Seriously though, energy content doesn't really correlate with power. If the engine needs to produce more power, it's just a matter of adding more fuel. The most important thing would be octane rating if the engine could take advantage of it, and there was a time when gas with ethanol was simply sold with the octane rating before the ethanol. If it said 92 octane, then it was probably closer to 94 once ethanol was added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back