Royal Purple Max ATF, 5,500mi, 2008 Mazda CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did two drain and fills of RP Max ATF in our 2008 Mazda CX-9. I did the drain and fills 2,500mi apart starting around 67k and did a third at 5,500mi and that's when I grabbed the sample. The local garage had done a flush with BG synthetic at 30k.

This car is mainly used for lots of short stop and go trips to bring kids to school and sports, run errands, and a short commute to work. It does get 2 highway runs a month.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Why change out perfectly good oil? Personally I really like Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I don't understand changing it so frequently and the "flushing". What did you or are you trying to accomplish?

Drain refill amount? Transmission capacity?

67k 2 drain refills at 2500 apart, and 3rd after 5500??? 71851 total miles?

Flush at 30k using BG
1st drain/refill at ??
2nd drain/refill at ??
3rd drain/refill at 71851 and UOA

Wear is there, most likely from partial drain/refill leftovers. ATF looks good.

Give it 1 more drain/refill and run it to 100k. Service filter, pan magnets, pan gasket.... and keep driving.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Drain refill amount? Transmission capacity?

67k 2 drain refills at 2500 apart, and 3rd after 5500??? 71851 total miles?

Flush at 30k using BG
1st drain/refill at ??
2nd drain/refill at ??
3rd drain/refill at 71851 and UOA

Wear is there, most likely from partial drain/refill leftovers. ATF looks good.

Give it 1 more drain/refill and run it to 100k. Service filter, pan magnets, pan gasket.... and keep driving.

Drain and Fill amount: 3.5qts
Capacity: 7.4qts

1st drain/fill at 66,351mi

2nd drain/fill at 68,851mi

3rd drain/fill at 71,851mi - sample for UOA taken during drain

Comparatively speaking, I don't see any better results with RP than with Maxlife ATF, Amsoil, or Redline, or Mobil 1 ATF.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Comparatively speaking, I don't see any better results with RP than with Maxlife ATF, Amsoil, or Redline, or Mobil 1 ATF.

Good to hear. I think that if I had known then what I know now I would have gone with Maxlife. (still learning)

Would starting yearly drain/fills of 3.5qts of Maxlife ATF be fine or should I stick with RP Max ATF simce I kust did 3 drain/fills with it?

I would at least get some miles out of the RP.

You can switchover to any ATF that meets your required spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back