NMMA vs Performance Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've been running an NMMA Approved 25w40 in my Volvo Penta 5.7GL (flat tappet cam) and would prefer to be using a similar viscosity oil, with a better ZDDP additive pack.
My boat is kept on a trailer and thoroughly flushed with fresh water after each use in both salt and fresh water.
Does the additive pack in the NMMA oil have a tackier additive that better resists internal corrosion when compared to a conventional oil?
Will the NMMA oil provide better protection over a 3 month 'lay up' period?

A local blender has a POA/ Ester based 15w50 that contains no VII and has copious amounts of zinc/ boron, that I'd much prefer to use.
Am I running the gauntlet by using non 'marine' products in a carburetted, flat tappet boat in salt water?

Some tech info on the NMMA Oil:
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=8&id_subcateg=200&id_products=368

Tech info on the PAO/ Ester 15w50:
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=3&id_products=278

Any technical advice or support is appreciated!

Cheers - Daz.

I would call and ask. Pao probably isnt attracted to moisture like some esters but first find out if its suitable for your application. If anything else, try and find a full synthetic with your needed specs. In the states pennzoil makes a marine full syn but I dont know if its for flat tappet cams. Best of luck.

deafwish,

There isn't anything "special" about marine oil. There is a corrosion test that has to be performed on it for it to be called such, but any oil would pass it. 3-in-1 oil, veggie oil, etc. etc. It's nothing special.

I run a pair of flat tappet carburated 454's in a 36' Tiara Express. I run dino HDEO oil in it, usually Delvac 15w40 or Rotella. I also buy a bottle of Red Line Zinc break-in additive and pour half the bottle in each engine.

No problems here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deafwish
Hi all,

I've been running an NMMA Approved 25w40 in my Volvo Penta 5.7GL (flat tappet cam) and would prefer to be using a similar viscosity oil, with a better ZDDP additive pack.
My boat is kept on a trailer and thoroughly flushed with fresh water after each use in both salt and fresh water.
Does the additive pack in the NMMA oil have a tackier additive that better resists internal corrosion when compared to a conventional oil?
Will the NMMA oil provide better protection over a 3 month 'lay up' period?

A local blender has a POA/ Ester based 15w50 that contains no VII and has copious amounts of zinc/ boron, that I'd much prefer to use.
Am I running the gauntlet by using non 'marine' products in a carburetted, flat tappet boat in salt water?

Some tech info on the NMMA Oil:
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=8&id_subcateg=200&id_products=368

Tech info on the PAO/ Ester 15w50:
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=3&id_products=278

Any technical advice or support is appreciated!

Cheers - Daz.

Does your boat have catalytic converters? As I understand it, the NMMA came up with their own oil specification when catalytic converters started appearing in boats. A high ZDDP oil may negatively affect the life of the cats.

Hi guys,

Do the NMMA oils have a tacky additive to assist in 'sticking' to internal components?
Most locally available HDEO 15w40's have similar ZDDP's (1300 ppm) to the NMMA 25w40 that I currently use, whereas the 10 Tenths Racing 15w50 has significantly more (1680 ppm), high VI, PAO/ ester and shear free.
My engine doesn't have cat converters.
I can see some value in marine dealers using NMMA approved lubricants for peace of mind, but is most of this concept simply marketing?

Last edited:
is most of this concept simply marketing?

Yes.

Yeah, most NMMA oils here in US have between around 1400 ppm ZDDP. Run the 10 Tenths 15w50 if you want. You won't have a problem.

Thanks again for the advice, team!
As I'll be winterising the boat next week, will my aerosol fogging oil leak past the rings and contaminate my crankcase oil?

Cheers.

Thanks again for the advice, team!
As I'll be winterising the boat next week, will my aerosol fogging oil leak past the rings and contaminate my crankcase oil?

Cheers.

no,

theres a gent here who literally pumps 2 cycle oil down the intake at 1500 rpmish to fog the motor. he did it back in another state when he owned a mercury shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back