where to buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Times change, and so too can your selection of oils. CI-4+ was the latest and greatest when you bought your truck, but that doesn't mean you need to run it, and it only.

Might I suggest Rotella T6, which is CJ-4 rated and pretty stout.

Also, you're not just draining the oil (RE: ODI.) The accepted initialism here is 'OCI'

Oh, by the way

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Killer223
greetings. i have an older early 04 dodge cummins. designed for CI oil. Valvoline still makes it. http://www.valvoline.com/products/commercial-industrial-products/heavy-duty-diesel-engine-oils/73

but i can't seem to find it anywhere. can you kind people help me.?

right now i run 5-40 PB. with fleetguard 9028 filter, my ODI are around 8K miles.

PepBoys and O'Reilly's usually carry it:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9275243/00186

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...7&ppt=C0368

Last edited:
Thanks Nuke for the link but that's the newer cj oil. i was looking for the classic. CI-4+.

i have used the Rotella T-6 but it stinks. i do like the Valvoline Premium blue in the 5-40. and thus far no real complaints. heck i might even try the 5-30 HDEO
Thanks again for the Welcome. lots for me to learn here. hope you people don't mind answering lotsa questions.

What's wrong with a CJ-4 15w-40? The majors discontinued CI-4 lubes for a very good reason. CJ-4 is backwards compatible, and there are viscosities everywhere from a 0w-30 to a 15w-40. As for 5w-30, Imperial Oil (our XOM) used to have a 5w-30 in CI-4/CI-4+ (Esso XD-3), then that was discontinued. At the outset of CJ-4, there was no 5w-30, and then Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 came out as CJ-4/SN.

Last edited:
diesels love detergents.
and i'm OCD.

After a while, old, out-dated spec's are not applicable.

What about Rotella T6 stunk for you? I don't understand how you could have possibly determined that.

diesels love detergents.

Check the UOAs here. Older diesels get run all the time on modern lubricants. If you're OCD, you can always get your own UOA and see how long the lubricant is still suitable for use.
wink.gif

My local Carquest can order any type of Valvoline oil, and I sometimes see uncommon grades of Valvoline HDEO there.

The other thing you could do is get Lucas Magnum CI-4+ oil. The last time I saw it, it still had the API certifications, so it would be good in your truck.

Do you live near a parts store with low product turnaround? Sometimes you can find oils with the previous API grade, and the bottles are all covered with dust.

My Dmax manual states that I can use CH-4, because the engine design started in 2001. But that's not a reason to try and find that old oil. Nor would I have any reason to try and find some "SG" for my older cars ... Just because a manual spec's an API category, does not mean that newer designations are not allowed. In this case, the CJ-4s are much better prepared for use than the older stuff, especially when considering that ULSD is the only fuel you're likely to be using.

Use the CJ-4. Use any brand/grade that seems reasonable to you. Your Cummins isn't likely to know the difference. You may hve a preference, but it probably does not care.

rotella stinks. as in it smells. it's a fine oil i'm sure just stinks.

thank you all for the information.
if i could post pdf files i'd show you the write up about the different grades of oil, then why i wanted the ci grade.

You're free to post links and buy what you like, but I doubt you'll convince a lot of people here about the superiority of an obsolete grade.
wink.gif
Here, where HDEOs get a lot of use, CI-4+ and older lubes completely disappeared years ago. The SN/GF-5 rollout took a substantial period of time, but the CJ-4 rollout took almost no time at all.

I recall reading this back when it came out; note that it's quite dated. A lot of the concerns at the time never panned out as thought. In any event, I was of the mindset to be tracking down the CI-4 and CI-4+ lubes, but Imperial Oil disabused me of that notion by discontinuing them in short shrift. My concern wasn't about additive levels, but certain viscosities that were available under the Esso XD-3 line. I never looked back and am glad for it.

Not a problem. If you have a Petro-Canada distributor down where you are (Chicago has the U.S. head office and can help you locate a distributor), I believe they may have some legacy lubes, too. Up here, the other majors got rid of them.

these are more what i was reading.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

and TDR issue 76 but i can't find the link to it at this moment.

I could smell that coming from a mile away ... Happens about once or twice a year that someone brings up that series of "info" from TDR as if it were golden. I find it to be rubbish.

That series of "articles" was really a fear-mongering of CJ-4 established and based upon some poorly reasoned thinking. They presumed a lot based upon inputs and never paid attention to any real results. They theorized that the older lubes were better because the CJ-4 had a reduction in some additives.

However, the reality is that CJ-4 lubes, as a generalization, have shown outstanding wear and soot control over their predecessors. Because of ULSD being the exclusive fuel in the States for many years now, the entire topic of acid production and bases (TBN and TAN) has proven to be moot. The fear mongering in those articles never panned out to be true in real world conditions.

You are free to use what you want. But I'll challenge you with this ...

Pick any lube you want; use it for several 5k mile OCIs. Do some UOAs. Then do the same with some modern CJ-4 lube and test again. If your position (based upon their theory in those articles) is true, then you should be able to show a clear delineation in wear rates and acid levels between the two lube choices.

It is my assertion that you'll never be able to prove your point based upon their ill-conceived theory. And I would have a good basis to know; I do statistical process quality control and have over 10,000 UOAs in my database, and I wrote this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Reality trumps theory every time.

Do as you see fit.

I dont blame you for wanting a Ci oil but Im not sure if you know the "Classic Blue" is only sold in 5 gallon and larger (up to 255 gallons). Maybe why you are having a problem of finding it.
I suppose, maybe a national auto parts store can order it for you.
Part # VV591839

BTW- I got from the link you provided but I got to tell you, I cant find it anywhere either after a fast search.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back