2003 Acura TL Rodents in Engine Wiring Harness

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons new car. 2003 Acura TL. Clean 100k with a new timing belt. Bought thinking in advance the tranny was gone for $1700. Planned on spending 1800.
(I am 2000 miles away and can't see the car)

A trip to the dealer brings news they think the tranny is OK and the only codes showing low voltage drops they blame on a chewed Engine Wiring Harness. Any thoughts?

Quote there is $1100- about 550 for the harness and 550 labor. Fair or shop for an independent?
Would you trust an independent?

Thanks

That sounds like a great price to have a new OE engine harness installed.

Not so great if they are just fixing the harness or using a junkyard harness.

I have seen OE engine harnesses that were over $1K for just the part, forget install.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The little jerks can do thousands in damage!

The rodents or the dealer techs?
laugh.gif

Apply bittering agent on the new harness! Why are rodents so attracted to wiring harnesses, to feather their nests?

electronics can be a voodoo to a car. I'd get a second opinion and if confirmed, live with the issues or sell the car. I'd hate to spend $1k and still have electronic issues.

I know a couple independent shops around NJ that specialize in Honda/Acura.

I'd have someone else look at it too, to make sure it isn't just 1 or 2 wires chewed and the dealer is wanting to sell a whole harness when it just needs to be spliced

Originally Posted By: Leo99
electronics can be a voodoo to a car. I'd get a second opinion and if confirmed, live with the issues or sell the car. I'd hate to spend $1k and still have electronic issues.

I know a couple independent shops around NJ that specialize in Honda/Acura.

Thanks Leo. Cars in NC thought

I'd price a Honda dealership. That way you'll for sure get a Honda OEM part. Call them and compare prices before you have the work done.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd price a Honda dealership. That way you'll for sure get a Honda OEM part. Call them and compare prices before you have the work done.

Thanks but In that town they are together with the shared shop in the middle. Maybe one down the road

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Does insurance cover the little buggers?

My wife's aunt and uncle had rodents chew up wiring in their Chevy Equinox. Their insurance paid for the repairs.

Probably if comprehensive is carried, but since the car was purchased with the damage, it would have occurred outside the policy period.

That doesn't sound that bad, it is probably what 4.5hrs labor...

I can likely look the part and book labor up tomorrow if you'll give any particulars on the car...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Probably if comprehensive is carried, but since the car was purchased with the damage, it would have occurred outside the policy period.

That doesn't sound that bad, it is probably what 4.5hrs labor...

I can likely look the part and book labor up tomorrow if you'll give any particulars on the car...

Thanks!!!
2003 ACURA 3.2 TL
SEDAN 4 DR
3.2L V6 PFI SOHC 24V
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Do you want me to PM the whole vin?

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Do you want me to PM the whole vin?

I should be able to get it without the full vin...I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow...

Delray Acura (acuraoemparts.com) shows the engine harness @ $528.48 List $396.36 their discounted price. FWIW.

My sons new car. 2003 Acura TL. Clean 100k with a new timing belt. Bought thinking in advance the tranny was gone for $1700. Planned on spending 1800.

A trip to the dealer brings news they think the tranny is OK and the only codes showing low voltage drops they blame on a chewed Engine Wiring Harness. Any thoughts?

Quote there is $1100- about 550 for the harness and 550 labor. Fair or shop for an independent?

Thanks

Its a 12 yr old car. Can't they fix it with quality wire and connectors?

Originally Posted By: Donald

Thanks

Its a 12 yr old car. Can't they fix it with quality wire and connectors?

by the time you can locate the fault (if not faults) and get at them good enough for a proper repair, it tends to be cheaper to replace the whole harness.

Unless the fault is staring you in the face of course....

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Unfortunately neither Mitchell or Audatex have labor for it.
frown.gif

Thanks Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back