Household plumbing problem! Leaky valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
So I am rehabbing this house and just got done replacing every valve and fixture in the entire house except the box for the washing machine. I go to hook up the washer and the valve is leaking from the stem when I turn it on.
mad.gif

So I tightened the packing nut and got it to stop. Do I leave it alone or is there a way to replace the washers in this valve? I really don't want to replace the box since I just had the walls retextured and painted. What would of cost next to nothing will be a fortune to get all the trades back...lesson learned!

I'd shut the water feed, take the valve assembly off and then re-do it with new parts (new rubber gasket, O'ring, etc.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I'd shut the water feed, take the valve assembly off and then re-do it with new parts (new rubber gasket, O'ring, etc.

Q.

Agree, cost all of $3 and 15 minutes.

It needs a Hose Bib Packing Kit. Which brand is your hose bib?

Arrowhead is a common brand. My outdoor bibs are all Arrowhead. For example, my hose bibs are No.925 and they take the hose bib repair kit No.3.

Arrowhead Brass

Replacing the valves would be like replacing your whole wheel hub assembly because you have worn out pads.

All the wear parts are replaceable on that valve. If it stopped leaking, why even do anything else at this time?

If the packing starts leaking again, you can replace the packing. If you cannot find the exact part, you can make your own packing with teflon "rope", available at any hardware store.
FH10APR_STEMSE_01.JPG

Simple. If it stopped when you tightened it up then you don't need to do anything at all. If it continued to leak then you can replace the washer for a couple dollars and a few minutes of time.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Simple. If it stopped when you tightened it up then you don't need to do anything at all. If it continued to leak then you can replace the washer for a couple dollars and a few minutes of time.
It's not the washer it's the packing around the shaft. Tightening the nut does nothing for the washer.

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards doing nothing at this time. Glad to hear all the wear parts are replaceable on this valve so I'll be able to rebuild it in the future, if needed.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: user52165
Install ball valves. 1/4 turn and they never leak. Easy peasy.

+1 for the above comment.

Believe me, I wish I would have while the plumber was here and before the drywall work was done. At this point I'm not about to cut open the drywall to solder new valves in unless absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: user52165
Install ball valves. 1/4 turn and they never leak. Easy peasy.

+1 for the above comment.

Believe me, I wish I would have while the plumber was here and before the drywall work was done. At this point I'm not about to cut open the drywall to solder new valves in unless absolutely necessary.

I only use screw on valves for this purpose. Laundry supply water is something that I turn off when not is use. Specifically, I use these:

611918051482lg.jpg

and these:
6517741-23.jpg

I had to turn off the water to my washer to do a repair once. My valve box looks just like the OP's. I could not get the faucets to stop dripping. Found out that my wonderful water actually dissolved the washers. After replacing them I used brass adapters to attach ball valves like the ones above in the second photo to the outlets on my standard hose bibs. So, I just leave those valves open and never touch them. If I need to turn off the water I use the red handles.

I tried to remove the original bibs, but the builder used excessive amounts of some kind of pipe dope and I could not get them to budge. figured what I did was better than breaking something. It's been over ten years since I did that.

If it doesn't leak now, leave it. I've packed a few nuts with the teflon rope, and that always solves the problem. My main always leaks with I have to turn it off. Now that is a pain!

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
If it doesn't leak now, leave it. I've packed a few nuts with the teflon rope, and that always solves the problem. My main always leaks with I have to turn it off. Now that is a pain!

I even replaced the main! Everything but this stupid valve. Ugh!

Simple. If it stopped when you tightened it up then you don't need to do anything at all..

Agree. Stem packing can loosen over time. If you can snug the packing nut and still easily open/close the valve with no leaks, you're good to go.

A situation similar to this for me lead to a failed main water shut-off in my basement, which led to partial driveway excavation by the municipal water dept to install new curb shut-off. Good times..

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's not the washer it's the packing around the shaft. Tightening the nut does nothing for the washer.

+1 Bingo! It's the packing! Teflon rope from a decent hardware or plumbing store.
+1 on ball valves too. I love ball valves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back