Opinions, 2015 Jeep Patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

My 74yrs young Mom is toying with the idea of a new vehicle. Mom is the frugal budget type when it comes to things like vehicles, and is willing to spend as little as possible. Dad was a Buick guy later in life and they downsized to a Pontiac Vibe back in 2008. Dad never did care for the Vibe right from the get-go, other than it would be reliable as all get out. Dad passed from cancer back in late 2009 and my mom would like to trade in the Vibe for something new now that it's 7+ yrs old and has ~75K miles on it. The Vibe doesn't have ABS and is real dicey in the winter, so I set her up with a set of snow tires years ago, that we have mounted/dismounted every year.

I know the Patriot is no Buick and potentially won't have the Toyota reliability of the Vibe, but she's shown some interest in them. The interest is mainly because they've currently got a $3000 rebate and 0% financing. Given this, you can get a new 4x4 Patriot with basic power amenities for under $21K, or even less if you don't mind roll-up windows.

I had some running around to do yesterday, so I stopped into a local Jeep dealer and test-drove a new Patriot. I liked it. I found it very comfortable and was a definite ride/comfort enhancement over the 2008 Vibe. I had hoped to be able to drive it over to Mom's house but the doofuss sales guy insisted on coming along.. and I wasn't taking him with.

Anyhoo, I know the GEMA 2.4L has proven to be a darn good engine. Not sure on the newer 6spd auto and 4x4 system, but my personal belief on 4x4/AWD is, go with Subaru or Jeep. They've pretty much had'em longer than anyone.

Any Patriot owners with Pros and Cons to add?

Thanks.

"""Highs: None.

Lows: Engine noise, acceleration, driving position, front-seat comfort, complicated optional radio, IIHS small overlap crash-test result.

Although the small Patriot SUV has a compliant ride and mostly simple controls, little else stands out. Even with its 2014 freshening, which included replacing the CVT with a six-speed automatic for most versions, it's pretty much outdated and outclassed. Handling lacks agility, and the sluggish 2.4-liter four-cylinder returned just 21-mpg overall. Once inside, passengers will notice the narrow cabin, wide center console, low-rent interior, and small windows, which give the car a closed-in feeling. On top of all that, the cargo area is small. Reliability has been average, but the Patriot scores too low for us to recommend it."""

Take a certain website's information as you will. I know a lot of people around here don't like said website.

I loathe them. They're very cheap all over, and that Chrysler unreliability... Yuck.

Subaru Forester
Honda CRV
Toyota RAV4

I might consider a Ford Escape too.

I think you could find a loaded used Patriot still in warranty for 4 figures. Or not much more than the Vibe will bring.
I guess if she just wants a new SUV, then I suppose its a cheap way to get one, although that still seems expensive to me.
Maybe get her try a $15k CRV?
I guess if she like the Patriot well enough let her get it, then you won't hear any grief about steering her to something else.

Hopefully NHHemi will weigh in here, IIRC he owned a Patriot for a while, but I've been highly underwhelmed with that platform in every incarnation I've experienced it (Patriot, Compass, and worst of all Caliber).

It was at least interesting when it had the CVT, but that added to the weird factor. I'm sure an ordinary 61TE is more reliable and less bizarre, but its just not a super great platform. The Caliber, which was one of the original vehicles for which that platform was developed, was a Neon replacement- the lowest rung on the Dodge ladder. Similarly the Patriot is the lowest rung on the Jeep ladder, and for a long time (maybe still?) is the lowest-priced vehicle in the whole Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep lineup.

I know relatively little about the AWD system in the Patriot, but its hardly "Jeep" at all. Its a transverse-engine FWD-based platform, so its got nothing in common with... well... anything else in the Jeep world except its up-trim twin the Compass. That said, there are a lot of them out there and its not rocket-science. I wouldn't worry, just don't ask it to *really* go offroad and be a Jeep... probably not a problem here. :)

Its practical transportation and most of the reliability warts have been ground off- In that regard it will be a clear step up from an aging Vibe. Your mom is probably smack-dab in the target demographic. Someone who wants affordable/reliable transportation, but not a car enthusiast.

I had a 2010 patriot 2.4L 4x4. It got decent gas mileage, the AWD system dominated the snow. I went up some mountains in Gatlinburg in the snow with no problems. Just get some good tires. I pulled an 1800lb trailer with it (I added the oil cooler and tow package myself), it pulled very well. No issues with the CVT. I really liked it, and should have kept it. I really don't see what people are fussing about. It was a good truck, with plenty of space behind the seat. I would drive another one in a second. Especially considering I paid 17K for mine. I traded it a year later for....17K.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does your mom hit pot holes? The ball joints seem to pop very easily when the vehicle hits a pothole.

Potholes do abound in WNY... I wasn't aware of major ball joint issues with them. Interesting..

They do carry the Jeep 5yr/100K mi powertrain warranty, but I believe this omits items such as ball joints and wheel bearings.

To the recommendations for Honda, Toyota, etc.. I hear you. I know there's 'better' vehicles in this class, but the 'better' comes at much higher cost comparing similarly optioned vehicles.

Like I say, even the lowly Patriot is an upgrade to the Vibe in terms of comfort and drivability. The Vibe is about as comfortable as a shopping cart and has always exhibited that annoying Toyota tip-in, take-off to the throttle.

There's no way she would trade in used for used.

Last edited:
My grandmother has a 2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L 2 wheel drive - CVT with 45k miles. The car has been dead reliable and hasn't been maintained well. Nothing has gone wrong but I absolutely hate driving it. It has NO power at all whatsoever. It can't even get out of its own way. I also hate the rubber band transmission, feels like a manual transmission with a slipping clutch.

The 2.4L has to be better

Nick, I found the 2.4L and 6spd 61te combo to move along quite well compared to the Vibe and my 5spd MT XV Crosstrek.

you can probably find a used one that has already taken 60% depreciation. then get the biggest aftermarket warranty she can afford with zero deductable.

i would frankly get a CRV or something though. she deserves better than a patriot.

You can find a new Forester, RAV4, or CRV for $23k in all wheel drive. Spend the couple extra grand and she'll appreciate it.

Dumb question: usually Honda/Toyota depreciate so slowly that they make poor buys at 2-3 years old. But would a CPO work here, knocking a few grand off and easing here into what she wants? Newer, problem free, etc? Doesn't sound like she drives many miles per year. Value retention as it ages might be a selling point, when she flips it a few years from now perhaps that extra spent now will pay off.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You can find a new Forester, RAV4, or CRV for $23k in all wheel drive. Spend the couple extra grand and she'll appreciate it.

Trust me, I'd rather have her go Honda or 'Yota, but a brand-new RAV4 or CRV in AWD for $23K? Show me where.

An absolute base model Forester with CVT stickers for ~$24K and being a multiple Subaru family, I can tell you base models typically have to be ordered, and you're lucky to get ~$500 off of sticker in my area due to their popularity.

Any of these are easily $3500-4K more than a new Patriot with current incentives. I know I'd probably go elswhere, but we're talking the Gestapo.. er.. mom here. LOL.

Last edited:
you need to have her test drive it.

There are quirky things that can be dealbreakers, especially for seniors like such as the steering is too hard to turn, or too hard to get in and out.
Or overall too hard to maneuver and steer and park.
Your mom might be fine now, but health related issues and decline can come on quickly.

I would say, despite subcompact small cars being marketted towards teens and newer drivers, actually seniors enjoy the ease of driving a small car as well.
My mom was well better off with a honda fit then her other toyota avalon (too large).

Your mother has paid her dues for 74 years and deserves a higher quality / more refined vehicle she'll be more pleased with after the purchase. The Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, and Toyota RAV4 all run circles around their competition and only run 10% more.

Most people typically regret buying the cheapest product they can get their hands on.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Trust me, I'd rather have her go Honda or 'Yota, but a brand-new RAV4 or CRV in AWD for $23K? Show me where.
Okay. I paid $22,500 for my 2013 brand new, and it has a few options.

cf0TGXe.jpg

PYpkERC.jpg

MN6a2tf.jpg

My daughter-in-law bought one new last year and I was concerned about Jeep reliability but as I recall was pleasantly surprised to learn it's rated by CR as one of the most reliable Jeeps they make. She had a TPMS warning light issue that corrected itself after awhile and other than that has had no problems. It's a decent enough car to drive and she bought it for the reason you mention. She wanted a new, affordable 4wd and because they are coming to the end of their production life the Jeep folks were very aggressive on pricing and generous on her trade-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back