2011-2014 Odyssey Owners with Front Brake Shudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously, I've had the Ody into the dealer for front end vibrations upon braking from highway speeds and the first time around they resurfaced the rotors and sent me on my way. The problem went away for another 12k miles, but on our recent trip to FL the problem came back as we were going through the mountains in TN.

A second trip to the deal was in order, and I knew that they would just replace the rotors with new ones and reuse the pads. The thing is, Honda has redesigned the rotors in an attempt to mitigate the issue of uneven pad deposits. They added extra holes in the rotor hat, but I'm uncertain if that will help anything. My though is that it will now have less metal acting as a heat sink, thus cooling it slower. Am I correct in this thinking, or will it actually do a better job of cooling? Anyway, I'm still convinced that an upgrade in pads is what Honda should be pursuing. I've purchased a GG rated pad for the front, but have not gotten around to installing them yet.

Just an FYI for Ody owners having the same issues.

Yep, even Car and Driver had this issue repeatedly on their long term tester.

Simply needs more brakes, but then you need bigger wheels, etc.

Pads will be a factor. Some kinds will practically never ruin your rotors...

Better pads may help with the issue, but traditionally Honda vehicles are known for undersized brakes and Odyssey is a big, heavy vehicle, so there is only so much the better pads can do.
Another thing I would look at is the rear brakes. If they are not 100%, the front brakes have much more work to do than they normally would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back