Bird Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning the attic yesterday and heard some bird noises in the corner. When I looked from the inside, the noise was inside ductwork and attached to the side of the house. I have enclosed a pic. Any ideas on how to get rid of them. I believe this is a vent for the dryer.

Do you run the dryer? If be a bit surprised that they would linger with hot, damp air blowing at them.

My guess would be noise/dryer operation to get them out, then a different kind of vent that is better at preventing entry.

We have issues currently with crazy robins, attacking their reflections on the car windows... Birds can be a pain!

Turn the dryer on to get the birds out of the duct, or bang on it to get them to leave. Then put a proper screen cover over the vent.

Like said, given the velocity alone of the air that a standard clothes dryer exhausts, I'd be surprised birds or a nest could stay put in there. Are you sure it's not a bathroom exhaust fan outlet? I could see them being able to stay put with one of those running.

Either way, you'll have a clogged-up duct if they can get in there. Bad news for a fan, worse for a dryer.

Looks more like a bathroom vent to me, that high up...

I would start by running it constantly to see if they really want to stay...

You're fighting very strong instincts if it's a nested bird with chicks. They can tolerate more noise than you probably want to provide. I would recommend very careful removal.

Depends where they are in their nest building...

If it's early, then they can be convinced.

If they're complete - they become quite stubborn...

The vent has a door on it and when I went to look outside a bird flew out, so obviously the door will not prevent entry.

It is high up for a dryer vent. I will trace it later today when I get home. If it is a bathroom vent, there is nothing I can do to chase them away other than using s long stick.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Looks more like a bathroom vent to me, that high up...

I would start by running it constantly to see if they really want to stay...

Put some smoke through the bathroom vent, bang on it, etc.

It just needs a screen to keep the pests out once they leave.

If its bathroom vent just leave them alone if they are nesting, if you force them to leave or screen it over the chicks will die.
They wont do any harm to your house like rodents.Once they are gone (they will go when the chicks fledge) screen it over.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If its bathroom vent just leave them alone if they are nesting, if you force them to leave or screen it over the chicks will die.
They wont do any harm to your house like rodents.Once they are gone (they will go when the chicks fledge) screen it over.

I agree, but before you screen it over, remove the old nest. You might need to use something like a small plumber's snake.....One intended to go through a toilet should do it. I would not leave the nest in there, though.

Originally Posted By: Trav

THIS^

Small birds won't be there for long, their chicks will be flying within two or three weeks, depending on species. Once you see that happen and they've left the nest for good, then just pull out the old nest and cover up the opening with a screen to prevent future issues.

I agree with Astro, it's probably a bathroom vent so a little extra bird poop for a couple weeks won't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back