Turkey hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Turkey hunters on the board ? Ive just recently started turkey hunting at 39 years old and im getting addicted pretty quickly. A budy invited me last weeked and it was a real treat, what fun ! Im used to Indiana deer hunting where you sit quietly and wait.. exciting when you get a deer but boring the rest of the time. Turkey hunting being so active is a hoot ! Im using the waterfowl Browning "hump back" semi auto 12guage that I bought for duck hunting but never got around to hunting. I bought myself a 3 pack of "Mad calls" and a box call, as well a a turkey vest this week. Im going again in the morning !

Any tips for more success ? the box call is pretty simple, however the Mad calls cleary take practice.

I used to hunt turkey but life got too busy to accommodate an addiction to Whitetail hunting AND turkey hunting.
smile.gif

I think the highest success rate is figuring out where they roosted in the evening and then setting up in the morning where they will likely fly down. Give a few calls before they leave the roost and hopefully they will land right in front of you.
We don't have a roosting spot on our place and I haven't had any luck calling in the ones occasionally travelling through...
I didn't get a license this year, so of course there's been a lot of them near our house...

Sometimes there are 60 Turkeys running around the neighborhood but for some reason they almost disappear during hunting season them reappear when the season closes.

We snuck in last week about 30 minutes before sun up, and had 3-5 responding to his calls, however nothing came in.. so we sat for a long while and when we decided to get up (seriously just stood up) 2 Hens, one Tom & a Jake all popped up over the hill and busted us before we could grab our guns (leaning against the tree). it was a rush.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
It's not as fun here. You can literally walk up to them, load your gun and then shoot. There's so many here.

Yeah, I can see where that might take the fun out of it.

Don't waste your time on Toms with hens go find a lonely one usually after 10am

Originally Posted By: dave123
Don't waste your time on Toms with hens go find a lonely one usually after 10am

why is that ? taste ? I was already told a Jake would taste better than a Tom.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
It's not as fun here. You can literally walk up to them, load your gun and then shoot. There's so many here.

Same here, they hang out in the yard playing with my cat. Everyone is hiding on the edge of our farm waiting for the turks to leave my yard...the don't and roost in the big tall oaks/pines we have.

Got this one last year on public land. They are hard to get there and are usually call shy but this guy came across a field with two hens in tow following my calls. Never happens like that for me.

Thanks, The nice thing about turkey hunting is you can get one any time of day,I shot the one last year at 12:30 it just requires tactics.
I try to hunt near roosting areas in the early am and fields midday. Then back near roosting areas in the pm. The birds in my area roost the same almost every year but once they come down and wander off they are gone all day, then come back to roost in the evening.The hard part is finding out where the heck they go all day!

They are thick as can be around here usually. Never hunted them...always been more a Pheasant slayer myself. I find it more challenging to hit a flying pheasant and it is great exercise as I walk many many ditches and fields. I hate sitting around in camo waiting for the bird to come to me.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
They are thick as can be around here usually. Never hunted them...always been more a Pheasant slayer myself. I find it more challenging to hit a flying pheasant and it is great exercise as I walk many many ditches and fields. I hate sitting around in camo waiting for the bird to come to me.

Sitting is only one way to hunt turkeys.
Run and gun is a very active and physical way to do it. You locate a bird by calling and move on to another area if no reply,when you finally locate one you will set up on it for a while and if it dose not pan out you walk to another area and start over again. You can do miles of walking with that method.

we sat and did "run and Gun" and unfortunately we didn't see any birds.. we did the weekend before, I shoulda shot that jake.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Yep, I can't count how many times I've had to slow down to avoid hitting them crossing the highway in the river valley... either by way of land or air. I can also hear them from my yard, gobbling out in the timber and have happened across them several times while out walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back