Axes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a relatively heavy axe that I can use for splitting?

How much do you want to spend? If a lot I am able to borrow axes and own a small one (gift) and splitting two cords is so easy. It is not just perception as I handed axe and noticed immediately how much easy it was over my $40 domestic axe.

I think its mostly weighting.

My neigbor who likes expensive tools and me for watching his home while away has these:
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

If you plan to do a lot of splitting and have the budget for it, a Gransfors would be great.

However, for occasional use, I have a couple Council Tool axes and hatchets that I've found to be good quality and a good value.

Try google for the Council Tool splitting maul.

Last edited:
I recently got the Fiskars 36" splitting axe, its great for moderate and easy to split wood. For elm though I go back to the 6lb maul. I have an 8lb maul as well but I get more pop with the lighter axes.
If you get something other than a fiskars, make sure its got a fiberglass handle with a pull through head. The ones that try to glue a fiberglass handle into a conventional head separate in a couple cords for me. Collins was the only one I could find locally that had the pull through head.

I have the Gransfors Bruks Large Splitting Axe. Hand forged by Rune Andersson, whose initials grace its head.

It is a wonderful, finely crafted tool. Far more effective than a regular axe due to the compound curve of its profile and its razor sharp edge.

It is a joy to use.

On our annual, extended family, camping trip in Pennsylvania each year, everyone volunteers to split wood, just to try out the Gransfors Bruks. And they all leave their mauls, and other axes in their camps, because the GB is just so...sweet...

Last edited:
I have found that I do not want my splitting axe, maul, too sharp.

If you run into a knot, you do not want the blade to cut I to it.
Rather it just follow the grain around it.

Splitting, not cutting.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Can anyone recommend a relatively heavy axe that I can use for splitting?

Are you splitting skulls or wood?

The Council tools axe is the heaviest axe I've seen. Weight is your friend, up to a point. I prefer a maul for splitting anything very big (12+ inches). If (when) your axe gets stuck and you need to pound her out, you'll probably end up distorting the eye.

If your aim is good, you can save on the fiberglas handle too...

Originally Posted By: ET16
Wood. I'm relatively mild-mannered.

Right. Otherwise I'd suggest a voulge or a halberd. King Richard III ran with his head into one of those and split his skull.

I swing a hammer fir a living. The best quality hand tools I've ever used is an American company called Vaughan.
They make the most beautifully balanced axes,hammers and great quality hand tools.
Yes they cost a bit more however if you happen to be swinging all day you appreciate the finer features this manufacturer incorporates into its tools.
A splitting axe with the spring loaded side teeth is a sledgehammer requiring no technique to split wood. I've found the Vaughan requires technique but less effort,which adds up if swinging an axe all day.
Iirc the edge is hollow ground as well which helps in splitting wood if you add a little twist of the wrist at the end of the stroke.
Vaughan makes the finest tools available,and I use one every day so I appreciate the balance and how they engineer their product line b
And they are made in America. I'm Canadian so I will happily pay a bit more for a quality tool knowing it helps employ a craftsman,and knowing an actual person made the tool I use proudly means something to me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I swing a hammer fir a living. The best quality hand tools I've ever used is an American company called Vaughan.
They make the most beautifully balanced axes,hammers and great quality hand tools.
Yes they cost a bit more however if you happen to be swinging all day you appreciate the finer features this manufacturer incorporates into its tools.
A splitting axe with the spring loaded side teeth is a sledgehammer requiring no technique to split wood. I've found the Vaughan requires technique but less effort,which adds up if swinging an axe all day.
Iirc the edge is hollow ground as well which helps in splitting wood if you add a little twist of the wrist at the end of the stroke.
Vaughan makes the finest tools available,and I use one every day so I appreciate the balance and how they engineer their product line b
And they are made in America. I'm Canadian so I will happily pay a bit more for a quality tool knowing it helps employ a craftsman,and knowing an actual person made the tool I use proudly means something to me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I just use a 100% steel 8lb wedge maul with a handle extension welded on-46" so lots of leverage for the weight and speed giving big kenetic energy-so always one wack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back