2015 2.5L Camry Oil Consumption Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 Camry (2.5L 4Cyl 178 Hp) has used one quart of Mobil 1 0W-20 oil in the first 4,178 miles. I'm shocked. The salesman is surprised both at the oil usage and that anyone checks the oil anymore. I've spoken with the service department (the service manager told me I talk too much) who wants to meet with me next Tuesday to write the problem up for the Toyota engineers. My brother says this usage is fine, quit worrying, nothing will happen, the engine will last forever. Is he right? Am I overreacting? My son says this will foul the spark plugs, lower the full economy, and mess up the sensors. Is he right? I need advice? How should I handle the service meeting. Thank you so much for your help.

1 quart in over 4000 miles isn't too much, but it's more to be expected from a car with 120,000 miles on it than a brand new one. However, new cars sometimes use oil when they're breaking in. If it uses that much in the next 6,000 miles, then it might be a little odd, but not really extremely high.

Oil consumption seems to have no effect on engine longevity as long as it's not a sign of a bigger problem, plenty of cars going on say 300k miles have used a quart per 2000 miles for the last 100k.

Yes, Wayne, you talk too much, but you don't listen. What does toyota recommend? M1? Nope.

First, new cars use more oil as the engine sets in, esp. the rings. That'll take longer with M1 or any syn.

Drain it and use what Toyota recommends, and see if the consumption drops off.

I have a 2.5L Camry, but it is a 2010.

When I first switched to using a new oil in the engine, the oil consumption in the first interval was higher than normal. I changed it again, using the SAME exact brand and viscosity as before, and the consumption is now practically nil.

I have heard others mention this phenomenon - temporarily increased oil consumption after switching brands of oil. I found it hard to believe myself, until I experienced it. I also saw this happen in my 5.7L V8 Tundra that I had.

I have no explanation for this phenomenon at all. But I would change the oil as scheduled at the next interval, and use the same brand and type of oil that you did the previous time. See if consumption stabilizes and slows.

I hope they checked for oil leaks before calling in the engineers. A too easy break in might lead to some oil consumed. Good to load a new engine heavily, then back off, load heavily again, over and over. Not high rpm, high load and on a warmed up engine. My two cents worth. Sometimes it is hard to know what to do with a mouth who is in the place you conveniently go to service your car. Ignore and brush it off, tell them off, go to another dealer, or report rudeness to the franchise owner. I would go somewhere else as personal remarks are unprofessional and you want a professional to service your car.

Maybe you need to put a load on that engine, to better ensure that the rings finish running in. A few full throttle blasts up a couple of onramps, with an interval in between, should finish the job that is probably 75% done.

Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
My 2015 Camry (2.5L 4Cyl 178 Hp) has used one quart of Mobil 1 0W-20 oil in the first 4,178 miles. I'm shocked. The salesman is surprised both at the oil usage and that anyone checks the oil anymore. I've spoken with the service department (the service manager told me I talk too much) who wants to meet with me next Tuesday to write the problem up for the Toyota engineers. My brother says this usage is fine, quit worrying, nothing will happen, the engine will last forever. Is he right? Am I overreacting? My son says this will foul the spark plugs, lower the full economy, and mess up the sensors. Is he right? I need advice? How should I handle the service meeting. Thank you so much for your help.

relax! it's normal to have a minor oil consumption while breaking in. it even says so in the owner manual if you bothered to read. i suspect it's going to be more common with 0W20.
i have one toyota that used 0.5 qt oil in the first OCI shows no oil burning at 60,000 miles. my first car with 0w20 btw.

one more thing, teenage sons rarely are right, trust me on that.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
relax! it's normal to have a minor oil consumption while breaking in. it even says so in the owner manual if you bothered to read.

+1

Your car is a major purchase and you should be concerned about potential problems. Inquiring into possible excessive oil consumption at such a low mileage is prudent. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

How long did you leave the factory fill in? That initial oil helps the engine break in correctly. IMO, you should not change it early.

More information: This is our fourth new Camry (three from this dealership) and we had a bunch of new Fords before this car, all paid for with mileage reimbursement from a business. I've never had a new vehicle use oil like this. I'm in my late 60s, my son is in his 40s and a smart automotive advisor, and Anna and I have been married 50 years last June and Anna doesn't trust the vehicle because of the oil consumption. I've never used synthetic oil before. The Mobil 1 0W-20 is what the dealership told me to use.

Wayne and Anna

Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
More information: This is our fourth new Camry (three from this dealership) and we had a bunch of new Fords before this car, all paid for with mileage reimbursement from a business. I've never had a new vehicle use oil like this. I'm in my late 60s, my son is in his 40s and a smart automotive advisor, and Anna and I have been married 50 years last June and Anna doesn't trust the vehicle because of the oil consumption. I've never used synthetic oil before. The Mobil 1 0W-20 is what the dealership told me to use. Nothing like getting hysterical over a quart of oil.

Wayne and Anna
"Doesn't trust the vehicle" to do or NOT do WHAT? The manual for my 4 cyl Camry indicates some oil consumption is normal. It has reached "only" 305,000 miles while using a bit less than a pint per 6000.

Last edited:
On my Fit, I left the FF in for ~4000 km. First 1,000 km broke in gentle, then the rest of that OCI I intermittently gunned it on hwy on-ramps etc.

Second OCI was again ~4,000 km, and jumped on and off the gas and used Mobil Super 1000 (dino) 5W20.

Then I used PP and any syn after with absolutely no oil consumption.

I do believe a new engine, after initial easy break in, needs some abuse on a good Dino like PYB for an OCI or two.

Last edited:
I would wait until some more opinions come in before you jump to any conclusion. There are number of members that I trust more than others, none of which have commented yet.

I'm not sure what Toyota recommends but M1 is top of the line oil. I would not run a dino in this car, not that dino couldn't protect it but the benefits of synthetic are numerous over dino. I don't blame you for being concerned, I've had vehicles with much higher mileage that didn't use a drop the whole OCI.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
How long did you leave the factory fill in? That initial oil helps the engine break in correctly. IMO, you should not change it early.
Really!! Explain it to me.

Open up the claim.You spent lots of $$$. That being said the engine is new and the consumption may lower as the engine runs in more.

+1, the FF should have been left in 10k miles/1 year on time probably. Of course changing it at 6k-10k would be fine.

The car comes with free oil changes for 2 yrs/25k miles. So I'm guessing the dealer used Mobil 1 0w20 and changed it way too early.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Yes, Wayne, you talk too much, but you don't listen. What does toyota recommend? M1? Nope.

First, new cars use more oil as the engine sets in, esp. the rings. That'll take longer with M1 or any syn.

Drain it and use what Toyota recommends, and see if the consumption drops off.

The 2015 Camry recommends 0w20 TGMO which is a synthetic and most probably formulated M1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

+1, the FF should have been left in 10k miles/1 year on time probably. Of course changing it at 6k-10k would be fine.

The car comes with free oil changes for 2 yrs/25k miles. So I'm guessing the dealer used Mobil 1 0w20 and changed it way too early.
What does changing the oil early have to do with break in. There is lots of regurgitating going on .

I have to ask why we are so obsessed with oil consumption?

Engines consume oil. Some will consume so little in an OCI that it doesn't appear to ever move. Other will consume a pint in 1000-1500 miles.

Too many variables.

As long as it's not leaking or fowling plugs or clogging the catalyst, relax.

As long as I know the conditions, I can add 8 oz every 500 miles or a quart during an OCI.

I think I'd rather do that than wonder what sort of job will done during a re-ring, or head rebuild or an engine replacement.

It's good to document it, should there be any issues in the future. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

But then every car in my fleet uses some oil now, from the 99 Grand Marquis to the 2010 Nissan Altima with 125K on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back