Consumer Reports: 10 Cars That Will Go 200k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consumer Reports looked at the models that hold the greatest likelihood of turning over 200,000 miles. Five are Toyota's. Five are Honda's. No other cars or brands make the list.

Consumer Reports says the choices are based on results of its annual research survey, which encompasses responses on 1.1-million vehicles. The high-mileage cars are all plain-janes — no luxury models. Even the fancier versions of the models listed sometimes got them booted from the list.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2015/05/07/consumer-reports-cars-over-200000-miles/70956532/

lol, we have owned nothing but honda's and toyota's in my immediate family and other family members have upgraded to BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Lexus(barely any) but all had hondas and toyotas before as well.

Not surprising...many of those base model ones can get there...as long as there is some kind of care there....

That said, I have a co worker with a 06 Civic that "who knows" when it last saw an oil change! Still runs okay though...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Consumer Reports says the choices are based on results of its annual research survey, which encompasses responses on 1.1-million vehicles. The high-mileage cars are all plain-janes — no luxury models. Even the fancier versions of the models listed sometimes got them booted from the list.

In other words, it's a list of cars that consumer reports readers are most likely to keep to 200K, not a list of cars that will go 200K.

Ed

Last edited:
Any consumer auto engine will go 200k if you use light in the winter and heavy oil in the summer. As far as the rest of the car, it's a matter of replacing a few parts and whether you want a smooth ride or not.

Originally Posted By: harbinger
Any consumer auto engine will go 200k if you use light in the winter and heavy oil in the summer. As far as the rest of the car, it's a matter of replacing a few parts and whether you want a smooth ride or not.

Or, use whatever's recommended. The idea of switching grades for moderate temperature swings has gone the way of Lucas oil thickener and air-cooled motors.

And maybe killing the car isn't such a bad thing. The magazine points out that modern cars have so many amenities, especially when it comes to advanced safety, that it may make sense to part with a clunker.

So it's a good thing for the owner that car loses all of it's value and cannot be traded in?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: edhackett

In other words, it's a list of cars that consumer reports readers are most likely to keep to 200K, not a list of cars that will go 200K.

Ed

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: harbinger

5W30 year round. Hasn't blown up yet. Then again it's a Toyota and could self destruct at any time.

I've got a client with a 2003 BMW X5 that has 262,000 miles on it. The only thing he's ever had to do to it other than routine maintenance is replace a cracked radiator overflow tank.

I think virtually any modern car if properly maintained will go 200,000 miles without major problems.

Fluids, tires, brakes, and actually washing the car when it is dirty...

Most cars can make 200,000 miles with ease.

The problem is most people fall out of love with the car and start abusing it then it doesn't last long.

But if you keep it up to date with all regular maintenance, and even just waxing once a year, your ride at the 10 year mark will look great and run great.

Pick a car you love that is from a quality maker, and if you love the car at the 5 year mark, maintaining it is a hobby, not a chore.

My Fit is in it's 5th year. Still baby it, still love it.

You don't see many abused Honda Fits on the road because most people that own them really like them.

Many Honda owners are really satisfied owners, hence they maintain their ride more.

Last edited:
If I lived in a different part of the country, I could see all of my vehicles hitting 200k. But, they rust out or break from potholes long before that.

Heck, if I lived somewhere where there was no rust, I would probably have an entire fleet of 200K cars.

"Going 200k miles" is a pretty useless yard stick in my opinion. To me, it's about as meaningful as measuring a car's reliability by, "it hasn't needed anything but fluids". A co-worker of mine had a 2004 model small SUV and he was proud that he hasn't had to fix anything on it in the 180k miles he's owned it, but the thing rattled going down the road, the dampers were completely blown out, interior pieces had fallen off, etc.

Both measures depend entirely on how much money you are willing to put into something and/or how much deterioration you're willing to put up with. You can get anything to go 200k miles if you fix it enough...and I'd never have been able to live with my co-worker's "needed nothing" vehicle.

The V6 Camry wasn't on that list but the 4 was. My wife had an Accord years ago. Replaced it with a Mazda which she traded in for a new Audi. Her Audi is her favorite car she's ever had. Some people don't care if they have the most reliable vehicle.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
As BMW repair guru Mike Miller will always say "A car will last about as long as you're willing to maintain it".

That's true, but some cars remain economical to maintain for longer than others, and thus will clock more miles on average.

I laughed when CEO of large VW dealer told in the newspaper that people should replace cars more often because maintenance becomes so expensive with older cars. And guess what his example was, VW Golf! Stay away from VW and Audi
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: From Article
With the average amount paid for a new car now firmly above $30,000, it makes sense to hold on to a vehicle as long as possible in order to squeeze every usable mile out of it before it needs to be traded in.

Another nonsense article from Consumer Reports. If someone squeezed "every usable mile" out of a vehicle, they won't be trading it in, they'll be junking it.

If the rest of the article is as poorly thought out as the first paragraph then I'm glad I didn't waste time reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back