gas prices jumped today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
Gas prices jumped 15 cents today to 2.59 gal.
Oil prices are still low so is it the so-called summer blend or the upcoming vacation season?
It's funny gas can go up 15 cents in a day but it never goes down 15 cents a pop.
I got spoiled last fall when it was 1.80 a gal.

For the moment being diesel fuel is staying low
cool.gif

We were spoiled in January at $1.64 per gallon for unleaded

Yep, they always jump up before major summer travel dates, and Memorial Day is only about 3 weeks away...then count on another bump before the 4th.Then people will complain and it will move down a little, then jump back up for Labor Day.

Oh, then the bump for "winter blend and high heating oil demand for colder than average winter"

I'm going to blame the summer blends. There are like 20 different summer blends across the country depending on where you are and what they require. That is ridiculous, and no wonder summer gas prices can be so volatile.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Yep, they always jump up before major summer travel dates, and Memorial Day is only about 3 weeks away...

don't forget, this Sunday is Mother's Day...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Take crude oil off the commodities market. Problem solved.

Yes! Something so essential to our everyday lives and to our economy should never be controlled by forces that don't account for anything other than profit and share holders.
The free market can be a benefit to the consumer, but more often benefits the companies, more specifically those that have the means to own part of those companies.

Originally Posted By: salv

Yes! Something so essential to our everyday lives and to our economy should never be controlled by forces that don't account for anything other than profit and share holders.
The free market can be a benefit to the consumer, but more often benefits the companies, more specifically those that have the means to own part of those companies.

Salv - Nixon tried price controls in the 70's. It didn't work so well. Shortages of everything from gasoline to toilet paper. I'd like to see a study of whether oil and gas companies make more profit per $ of investment than other industries. Until then, please spare me the populist drivel.

Originally Posted By: Burt

Salv - Nixon tried price controls in the 70's. It didn't work so well. Shortages of everything from gasoline to toilet paper. I'd like to see a study of whether oil and gas companies make more profit per $ of investment than other industries. Until then, please spare me the populist drivel.

Gas companies make about $.06 a gallon profit. I think that seems pretty fair.

How do propose to do that? Its a world mariket.

Yes!

Far better than being controlled by elected officials who just want to buy votes with your own money.

In my calculus of life, I trust business more than I trust government.

Why?

Because ultimately, I get to decide if I'll do business with them. Business doesn't have guns and a police force to lock me up if I don't fall into line.

If I don't do business with someone. If I buy less gas or any other commodity, producers have to address the reasons why I'm not buying.

This isn't necessarily the case with political leaders. They are more beholden to those who make the big donations than they are to taxpayers and voters.

I vote with my wallet every day. I can only vote every other year at the ballot box.

This is why I'd rather let the market decide, than allow those who are in the power brokering business of government making decisions that they really never account for.

Too bad that you're not in an area where the price of gas will jump by 30 or 40 cents a gallon at once.

Just 15 cents? Oh, the humanity.

Part of gasoline price is set by local stations. As many of you know that almost all products sold by Costco within any state are at the same price, but gasoline price is different from 1 Costco station to the next, even if the 2 stations are less than 5 miles apart. As of today the lowest Costco price for regular in Orange County is $3.47 vs highest price of $3.69. Similar for other name brands such as Chevron, Shell ...

Exactly.

Illogical oil prices seem to be a serious threat to our economy which in turn is a direct threat to National Security.

Wow,my 2.59 is pretty weak.
I did say I was happy with that price didn't I?
I'm going back to my corner now.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Exactly.

Illogical oil prices seem to be a serious threat to our economy which in turn is a direct threat to National Security.

I think this would actually have the opposite effect.

The more you restrict something and make it harder to access or trade, the more that only a select few will have the pockets and/or Will to overcome the barriers you put up. This leads to the unintended result that those few entities most interested in profit end up having MORE control and power over that commodity rather than less control

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back