Marine gear lube vs auto gear lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the difference between marine gear lube and automotive gear lube? Both of these I'm looking at are the same brand, same rated viscosity, and are both GL-5 rated. The marine version is about a buck more per quart.

I've used both, mostly depending on availability. I've heard the marine lube is supposed to separate from water better, but if you have water in your lower unit.... you still have water where the lube is supposed to be.

Exactly. More specifically, it's designed to retain its ability to lubricate and protect against corrosion even when contaminated by water. I use the Amsoil lube, which continues to work even under 10% water contamination.

Using an automotive gear lube will not kill anything, but if any water gets past the seals, it'll break down fast.

Does your outboard manual really cals for GL5 spec?

outboard gearboxes often have bronze bearings...and GL5 will eat them (chemicaly!)

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

outboard gearboxes often have bronze bearings...and GL5 will eat them (chemicaly!)

What I was considering this for is the differential on my 4x4 truck.

Thanks for the info guys.

Originally Posted By: garyb80
Does anyone know the difference between marine gear lube and automotive gear lube? Both of these I'm looking at are the same brand, same rated viscosity, and are both GL-5 rated. The marine version is about a buck more per quart.

Marine Gear Lubes have a bit more of the following:

Emulsifiers
Corrosion inhibitors
Rust Inhibitors.

So the cost is higher because the addpack is more expensive.

Unless you are covering your diffy with water by crossing streams or such you don't need it.

They just get to charge more.

Water in a gear box will wipe it out very quickly, don't care what oil is inside.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

My Yamaha F300 calls for GL-5

I said "often"...that is why majority of outboard gearbox oils are GL4 rated...

but nevertheless...you can still pour in oils with GL4+ or GL4/5 or GL5 + MT-1 ratings without harm to bearings (different chemistry...same protection level as GL5...)

Many GL-5 gear oils are compatible with yellow metals these days, as well as other previously verboten materials.

This is why I am able to discard the ATF in my manual transmissions and run gear lube with impunity.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
They just get to charge more.

Water in a gear box will wipe it out very quickly, don't care what oil is inside.

And you make a good point.

If you're submerging your diffy either by crossing streams or by backing a boat into the lake frequently, you should be changing the diffy lube after such an event.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
don't cross the streams

Ha Ha, I was thinking this was a random ghost busters reference and couldn't figure out the relevance.

So, how do you know if a 5 is just a 5, or its a yellow metal safe 5 which just has the protection of a 5? "marine" on the label?

I assume you're referring to a GL-5 diffy lube.

Today's GL-5 additive packages don't affect copper alloys.

Besides, show me where, in a differential, there are any copper alloy materials.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Besides, show me where, in a differential, there are any copper alloy materials.

OK. The Peugeot 404 used a worm gear differential. The wheel gear was phosphor bronze.

Hey, you just said a differential. That's one.
grin.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

OK. The Peugeot 404 used a worm gear differential. The wheel gear was phosphor bronze.

Hey, you just said a differential. That's one.
grin.gif

Ed

True!

If the diffy had phosphor-bronze worm gearing, I still doubt any modern GL-5 would affect it.

I should have said:

Quote:
Besides, show me where, in a modern hypoid differential, there are any copper alloy materials.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: Subdued
don't cross the streams

Ha Ha, I was thinking this was a random ghost busters reference and couldn't figure out the relevance.

So, how do you know if a 5 is just a 5, or its a yellow metal safe 5 which just has the protection of a 5? "marine" on the label?

yaoooooooooooo!!!

GL5

VS

GL4/5 or GL4+ or GL5 + MT-1 on the bottle

I assume you're referring to a GL-5 diffy lube.

Today's GL-5 additive packages don't affect copper alloys.

Actually, I was asking in reference to a suitable replacement for a copper alloy worm geared tiller gear box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back