2000 300M Chrysler dies when hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you help a brother out on another forum? Here's his post:

We have a 2000 Chrysler 300M with the 3.5 engine. When the engine warms up, and you put into gear, the car dies. It will run in park, but it idles a little erratically (oil light will flicker at idle, but I figured it is due to RPM's dropping real low). The check engine light is not on, and no codes are found. I replaced the crank position sensor and the IAC valve (pulled throttle body off at the same time and cleaned and installed a new gasket). This did not cure the problem.

When the engine is cold, it will run fine, and you can put it into gear, and it will run. It is when the engine warms up, it dies when it is put into Neutral or Drive.

I did a smoke test, and cannot find any vacuum leaks anywhere. Fuel pressure seems fine, but i have no way to test. All I did was test at the port and got a good spray. I would not think it would be a fuel pump issue, as it does run when cold.

Here is a follow up after he tried a few more things:

Replaced the coolant sensor, and didn't fix the problem. Still shuts off once it hits operating temperature.

Back probed the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor (IAT sensor built-in) and seemed to get the correct readings that I should be getting.

Pulled all plugs and did a cylinder compression check and leak down test. All cylinders building up pressure fine and maintains that pressure.

Also, for reference, it is coil on plug.

When it is warming up, it seems to have a knocking sound. It doesn't seem to do it at cold temperature. Really strange.

hook up a vacuum gauge and monitor it when it is cold and then hot, We see engines that when they get hot sometimes the valves stick due to carbon and sludge buildup.. In many cases it does throw a code but sometimes it does not because when it stalls people tend to shut the ignition switch off before restarting and sometimes it will not illuminate the cel although it may still be stored in the ecm.
scan the system first then hook up a vacuum gauge and see what is going on.. You can buy them cheap at most auto parts stores and they come with instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back